Tamil Nadu hit by diesel shortage (Lead)August 26th, 2008 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 26 (IANS) Diesel users in Tamil Nadu had a tough time for the 10th consecutive day Tuesday, as the fuel shortage continued unabated. Long queues were seen in many parts of the state. According to petroleum dealers, the current crisis has been triggered by the state-run oil companies, which have curtailed supplies to hike prices again to combat mounting losses.
Tamil Nadu is losing at least Rs.25 million a day due to the fuel shortage, which has affected movement of essential goods across the state. Prices of vegetables and other essential goods have shot up.
However, the oil companies say the crisis is a result of acute power shortage in the state.
Many industries and IT companies in Chennai, Tiruvallur, Cuddalore, Kanchipuram, Villupuram and Vellore are now powering their plants and offices with diesel gensets, a move that resulted in a sudden jump in demand for diesel.
The Tamil Nadu Petroleum Dealers Association (TNPDA), at its general body meeting held in Salem Monday, decided that its member-dealers would not open petrol bunks on Sundays and after 10 p.m. on week days as they don’t get adequate supplies to meet the high demand Monday mornings.
However, the state government Tuesday appealed to the TNPDA to change its decision. The government has also denied reports of severe fuel shortage in the state.
Chief Secretary L.K. Tripathy told reporters Saturday that public sector fuel companies had promised to shore up supplies.
Besides, Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi has written to the central government for higher allocation of diesel to the state.
- Petrol bunks go dry in three Tamil Nadu districts(Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Petrol bunks go dry in three Tamil Nadu districts - May 28, 2012
- Tamil Nadu asks petroleum dealers to function as usual - Aug 26, 2008
- Cyclone Thane toll now 46, life limps back to normalcy (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
- Jayalalithaa orders Rs.150 crore for cyclone relief - Dec 30, 2011
- Fuel shortage to ease in Chennai, says Jayalalithaa - May 29, 2012
- Cyclone Thane kills 15 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Third Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills 33 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Fourth Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Life limping back after Cyclone Thane's destruction - Dec 31, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills 33 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry; spares Andhra (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011
- Tamil Nadu gets new trains, integrated suburban network - Feb 25, 2011
- Cabinet nod for petrochemical region in Tamil Nadu - Jul 04, 2012
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Tamil Nadu gets new trains; bio-diesel, windmill plants (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Ten burnt to death in bus-lorry collision in Tamil Nadu - Sep 08, 2010