Tamil Nadu government launches Arasu Cable CorporationJuly 15th, 2008 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 15 (IANS) The Tamil Nadu government Tuesday launched its own cable television network through the Arasu Cable Corporation in four districts. Launching the operations through a videoconference from the state secretariat here, Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi said: “The subscription rate for end-customers will be Rs.100 per month which would include, apart from free-to-air channels, some pay channels.”
According to him, the corporation will offer signals to those cable operators who have registered with it and there will be another option for unregistered operators to get themselves enrolled with Arasu Cable Corporation.
He said the corporation will offer only select pay channels that find favour with the public and not all that currently exists in the country.
“While many pay channels have agreed to offer their signals to the government company, strict legal action will be taken against those pay channels that deny signals,” he warned.
The network will be available in Thanjavur, Tiruchirapalli, Thiruvarur and Nagapattinam.
Interestingly, the Sun bouquet of channels is absent in the Arasu corporation’s offering. The Sun Group promoted by Kalanidhi Maran, grand nephew of Karunanidhi, also runs profitable cable TV operations under the name Sun Cable Vision (SCV).
Arasu Cable Corporation will be a direct competitor for SCV.
- Arasu Cable TV revived to break 'one family's monopoly': Jayalalithaa - Sep 02, 2011
- Tamil Nadu to 'nationalise' cable TV - Jun 03, 2011
- IAS officer Umashankar is victimised: Jayalalithaa - Aug 04, 2010
- Bill to digitalise cable TV passed by Lok Sabha - Dec 13, 2011
- Tamil Nadu's Arasu cable TV mulls Chennai operations - Nov 22, 2011
- Sun TV shares slide on telecom tangle - Oct 10, 2011
- Maran's abrupt end as minister, second time over (Profile) - Jul 07, 2011
- Tamil Nadu to tax DTH firms, IPL matches - Sep 14, 2011
- Hathway Internet unplugs services in Chennai - Jul 31, 2009
- Tamil Nadu officials to estimate rain damages - Dec 04, 2010
- Acquittal for all accused in Dinakaran office burning case - Dec 10, 2009
- 2G scam: Maran denies wrongdoing, opposition demands he quit (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2011
- Death toll in Tamil Nadu rains rises to 179 - Dec 06, 2010
- Cabinet clears digitisation of TV broadcasts - Oct 13, 2011
- Maran will be dropped if probe points finger - Jun 25, 2011