Tamil Nadu gets court notice on premature release of prisonersDecember 15th, 2008 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 15 (IANS) Can state governments prematurely release a large number of convicted prisoners to mark important occasions? The Supreme Court Monday decided to closely examine the legality of the matter on a plea against the Tamil Nadu government freeing over 1,000 prisoners to mark the 100th birth anniversary of former chief minister C.N. Annadurai.A bench of Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan and Justice P. Sathasivam issued notice to the Tamil Nadu government on a plea by Janata Party president Subramaniam Swamy who sought transfer of his lawsuit from the Madras High Court to the apex court.
The lawsuit by Swamy, filed on Sep 14, objected to the state government’s decision to let off 1,405 prisoners prematurely the next day to mark the 100th birth anniversary of C.N. Annadurai, the state’s first non-Congress chief minister and also the founder of the ruling DMK.
The DMK government took the decision on Sep 11, three days before Swamy moved the state high court.
The high court, however, after a special hearing of the issue the same night, allowed the DMK government, headed by M. Karunanidhi, to let off the prisoners.
Swamy’s petition is still pending in the high court.
Swamy pointed out that the apex court was also hearing a similar petition objecting to an order last year by the Andhra Pradesh government to release 1,300 prisoners to mark the 150th anniversary of India’s First War of Independence in 1857.
Swamy said as the two petitions raised similar questions of law, they should be heard together by the apex court.
- Jayalalithaa against setting jail-birds free - Jun 25, 2010
- Apex court to hear Tamil Nadu freebie case Sep 16 - Sep 03, 2011
- Plea against release of Tamil Nadu prisoners denied urgent hearing - Sep 24, 2008
- Madras High Court stays decision to shift Anna Centenary Library - Nov 04, 2011
- Supreme Court to hear Rajiv killers' plea Oct 19 - Oct 11, 2011
- Supreme Court wants panel to vet Tamil Nadu school books (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- SC declines plea on Tamil Nadu government's secretariat (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- We prefer friendly ties with the centre: Karunanidhi - Apr 05, 2011
- Jayalalithaa demands withdrawal of cartoon from NCERT book (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Apex court wants panel to examine Tamil Nadu school books - Jun 14, 2011
- Centre shies from naming Rama Sethu a national monument - Apr 19, 2012
- Karunanidhi in Delhi, to meet Kanimozhi in jail - May 23, 2011
- Indian democracy in peril as Kani denied bail: Karunanidhi - Nov 10, 2011
- Tamil Nadu government to convert library into hospital - Nov 02, 2011
- Change in government should not hit students: Apex court (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2011