Tamil Nadu doesn’t need IT investment, says ministerJanuary 9th, 2009 - 5:14 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 9 (IANS) In an announcement that took everybody by surprise, Tamil Nadu Electricity Minister Arcot N. Veeraswamy said here Friday that the state does not need any more investment from the IT sector.He was speaking at the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD), the annual meeting of the Indian diaspora. Hoping to woo industrial investments to the state, he said the economic slowdown had affected around 50 percent of IT companies located on the IT highway - the Old Mahabalipuram Road.
However, Veeraswamy urged the Indian diaspora to look at sectors like electronics, automobiles, leather, textiles, paper, cement and others for investments. “For the next 25 years, these sectors will not experience any slowdown.”
According to him, cement manufacturers sell a bag for Rs.200-220 after manufacturing it for Rs.100. Similarly, manufacturers of newsprint, steel and others make good profits.
“Even brick manufacturers are earning good profits in the state,” he added.
- Jharkhand poised for higher industrial growth: Munda - Jan 09, 2012
- India gives 3-P mantra to diaspora on economic engagement - Jun 11, 2011
- Trinidad and Tobago keen to host mini Indian diaspora meet - Jan 08, 2012
- Malaysian Indian leader to seek more business ties in India - Jan 03, 2011
- NRIs get right to vote in Indian elections (Second Lead) - Jan 08, 2012
- Indian diaspora invited to invest in northeast - Jan 08, 2011
- Five Indian ministers at Toronto's mini-PBD - May 30, 2011
- Indian firms to cut capital expenditure by 14 percent - Jul 25, 2012
- Kamla Persad-Bissessar, a 'Pravasi Bharatiya' on her way to India - Jan 01, 2012
- Vayalar skips, Preneet Kaur to lead India at Pravasi Divas - Jun 08, 2011
- Government to invest $100 bn on education in 12th plan - Jan 07, 2011
- States woo diaspora for investment - Jan 09, 2012
- India asks diaspora to become partners in progress - Jun 10, 2011
- India seeks diaspora investment in energy, healthcare - Jan 07, 2012
- 9th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to highlight northeast region, says Vayalar Ravi - Sep 22, 2010