Tamil Nadu doctors strike work over killing of colleagueJanuary 5th, 2012 - 1:20 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 4 (IANS) Government doctors in Tamil Nadu went on a strike Wednesday protesting against the killing of a lady doctor T. Sethulakshmi working in the Employees State Insurance Hospital (ESI) in Tuticorin two days ago.
More than 15,000 doctors across the state participated in the strike though emergency services were not affected.
On Monday night in Tuticorin, autorickshaw driver Mahesh killed Sethulakshmi as he thought the doctor was responsible for the death of his pregnant wife, Nithya.
According to police, Mahesh had brought his wife Nithya to her clinic Dec 30.
As the six month foetus was dead in the womb the doctor advised emergency operation. During the course of the operation, Nithya’s condition turned critical and the doctor took her in an ambulance to a private hospital that had all facilities.
Unfortunately Nithya died enroute. Later Mahesh blamed the doctor for the death of his wife and killed her.
On Thursday, doctors in private nursing homes are planning to go on strike.
According to Tamil Nadu Government Doctors’ Association (TNGDA), the association will submit its demands to the state government.
The doctors demand punishment of Mahesh at the earliest and police protection to all hospitals.
The police have arrested Mahesh and his associates.
- Private doctors strike work in Tamil Nadu - Jan 05, 2012
- Andhra man beats wife for carrying girl child - Apr 03, 2012
- Two days after blast, pain and prayers continue - Sep 09, 2011
- Chinese officials sacked for dumping baby bodies - Mar 01, 2012
- Religious leader Nityananda, aides charged with rape - Nov 29, 2010
- Tamil Nadu minister's son dies in accident - Jun 25, 2012
- Kudankulam protests: One killed in police firing - Sep 10, 2012
- Man shoots brother, sister-in-law's unborn child - Nov 05, 2009
- Death toll in Tamil Nadu rains rises to 179 - Dec 06, 2010
- Tamil Nadu minister Karuppasamy dead - Oct 22, 2011
- Killer mothers murder twin girls - Oct 10, 2009
- Situation calm in Kudankulam, more protestors arrested (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Two murders in Delhi - Jul 11, 2012
- One killed as anti-Kudankulam protests turn violent (Third Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Rajnikanth falls ill, briefly hospitalised (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: ambulance, colleague, dead in the womb, death of his wife, emergency operation, emergency services, esi, foetus, government doctors, hospitals, insurance, lady doctor, monday night, nursing homes, police protection, pregnant wife, private hospital, state government, state insurance