Tamil Nadu boat capsize kills 13 (Lead)December 25th, 2011 - 10:15 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Dec 25 (IANS) At least 13 people were killed when a boat carrying 25 passengers capsized in Pulicat Lake in Tamil Nadu’s Thiruvallur district near here Sunday, police said. Three children have been rescued, while search is on for the remaining passengers.
According to initial information, a group of people from Chennai, most of them relatives, had gone on a boat ride in the afternoon.
The fibre boat, used for fishing, appears to have capsized at the mouth of the lake, where it meets the sea.
According to fishermen at the site, the boat might have overturned due to a sudden big wave.
Thirteen bodies have been recovered so far, police said.
Fishermen, fire service personnel and police are involved in the search operations.
The accident spot can be reached only be a boat and bad light is hampering the rescue work, officials said.
Police said villages along the coast have been alerted to be on the lookout for any body washed ashore.
Pulicat is the second largest brackish water lake in India, located on the Tamil Nadu-Andhra Pradesh border, some 60 km from here.
- Toll in Tamil Nadu boat accident rises to 15 (Second Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- 13 killed as boat capsizes in Tamil Nadu lake - Dec 25, 2011
- 13 die as boat capsizes (Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
- Ghana fishes for fibre glass boats from India - Sep 11, 2011
- No clue of missing fishermen or hit and run ship - Mar 02, 2012
- Jharkhand youth among 2 fishermen drowned near Thane - Mar 10, 2012
- 3 die, scores missing after Nepal boat capsize - Aug 25, 2012
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Boat capsizes in West Bengal, two missing - Jan 19, 2011
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Five killed, 10 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Bihar boat capsize toll rises to 21 - Sep 11, 2012
- Four fishing boats sink off Maharashtra town, 18 missing - Sep 03, 2011
- 27 bodies found after Tanzania ferry capsizes - Jul 19, 2012
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012