Tamil Nadu asked for report on assault on Dalit boyJune 17th, 2011 - 6:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 17 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission (NHCR) has issued a notice to the Tamil Nadu government after a media reports alleged that a Dalit boy in the state was beaten up for fetching water from a public tap.
A statement by the commission Friday said that the boy was stopped from fetching water at Karikkilipalayam in the state by three women. When he protested, he was thrashed by them.
The boy had to be admitted to hospital. The statement also said that the village is reeling under extreme water scarcity.
“Taking suo motu cognizance of the media report June 14, the commission has issued notice to the chief secretary of the Tamil Nadu government, calling for a report on the matter within four weeks,” the statement said.
The commission has sought information on whether any criminal case has been registered against the accused, if any relief or compensation has been given to the victim, and what action has been taken to prevent such cases of discrimination against Dalits.
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to UP government - Jul 25, 2012
- Rights panel notice to Delhi over injured boy - Feb 13, 2012
- NHRC notice to Haryana on abandoned baby girls - Jul 11, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Tamil Nadu - Aug 29, 2012
- Jharkhand issued notice on child labour - Apr 06, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh government asked to probe sex change cases - Jun 27, 2011
- Uphold dignity of women, Delhi Police told - Mar 16, 2011
- NHRC takes up lynching of truck driver near Agra - Sep 21, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to Orissa - Jul 27, 2011
- Notice issued to LAWDA over Srinagar farmhouse - Apr 25, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Haryana on child's death - Feb 29, 2012
- NHRC serves notice to Delhi Police Commissioner in woman stripping incident - Jun 14, 2010
- NHRC notice to home ministry over handling of Maoist bodies - Jun 29, 2010
- Notice to Bihar government on child rights violations - Sep 05, 2011
Tags: chief secretary, cognizance, criminal case, discrimination, human rights commission, june 14, national human rights, national human rights commission, New Delhi, nhcr, tamil nadu government, tap, three women, water scarcity