Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh may get ultra-mega power plantsAugust 15th, 2011 - 12:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 15 (IANS) The government has finalised the sites for two more ultra mega power projects, one in Tamil Nadu and the other in Andhra Pradesh, and plans seven more in consultations with the respective state governments.
“The site for setting up one ultra-mega power project in Tamil Nadu has been finalised at Cheyyur in Kanchipuram district and for a second in Andhra Pradesh at Nayunipalli village in Prakasham district,” said Minister of State for Power K.C. Venugopal.
“The other ultra-mega power projects proposed are in Karnataka and Maharashtra, two more projects each in Orissa and one additional project each in Gujarat, Jharkhand and Tamil Nadu,” the minister told parliament last week.
These are in addition to two such projects at Sarguja in Chhattisgarh and Bedabahal in Orissa that are in the bidding process.
The government has so far awarded four coal-based ultra-mega power projects, each with a capacity of about 4,000 megawatts, to private developers and these are under different stages of implementation.
Anil Ambani-led Reliance Power is developing three of them at Sasan in Madhya Pradesh, Krishnapatnam in Andhra Pradesh and Tilaiya in Jharkhand, while the Tata Group is working on one at Mundra in Gujarat.
Development of these large power projects has been identified as a thrust area by the government. As per estimates, each of these projects will produce around 4,000 MW of power and involve an estimated investment of about Rs.16,000 crore.
- Reliance Power concludes India's largest fundraiser - Sep 28, 2010
- Reliance Power buys Jharkhand's Tilaiya firm - Aug 07, 2009
- Reliance Power places $10-bn equipment order for 32,000 MW - Oct 28, 2010
- Two Anil Ambani group firms propose $11 bn merger deal - Jul 04, 2010
- Jharkhand to get second 4,000 MW power plant - Jun 17, 2012
- Reliance Power's Tilaiya project gets approval for carbon credits - Oct 03, 2011
- Reliance Power's Q1 operating revenues up 300 percent - Aug 11, 2011
- National Aluminium on a major diversification drive: Chairman - Jul 28, 2011
- Reliance Power total income rises 124 percent in 2011-12 - May 27, 2011
- Major steps to boost power generation soon - Aug 25, 2012
- Anil Ambani group bags third ultra mega power project - Jan 28, 2009
- Reliance Power total income doubles in third quarter - Feb 14, 2011
- Ambani seeks higher power tariff to ensure industry's health - Sep 04, 2012
- Anil Ambani mulls public issue, commercial bank for group firms (Roundup) - Sep 28, 2010
- Undue benefit to Reliance Power on coal allocation - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: chhattisgarh, different stages, gujarat, jharkhand, karnataka, maharashtra, mega power, megawatts, minister of state, mundra, New Delhi, orissa, power plants, power projects, private developers, reliance power, sasan, state governments, tata group, thrust area