Tamil meet to go ahead Sunday: KarunanidhiAugust 12th, 2012 - 12:28 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 11 (IANS) With police denying permission to hold the Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisation’s (TESO) public meeting and the judicial ruling expected Sunday afternoon, DMK president M.Karunanidhi Saturday said the meet would be held in a five-star hotel and the party headquarters here.
In a statement, Karunanidhi said here: “The meet would be held at Accord Metropolitan Hotel Sunday morning and the decision on the resolutions to be passed would be taken.”
He said necessary legal steps have been taken to remove the ban order on the conferenece to be held at Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) grounds in Royapettah in south Chennai.
Karunanidhi said if, however, the ban order continues to stay, the Eelam Tamil Livelihood Rights Protection Conference would be held at DMK headquarters here Sunday evening.
He added that public meetings would be held at various places in the state between Aug 20-30 to explain the resolutions passed at the conference.
Earlier in the day, a single judge in the Madras High Court declined to pass an order on the case filed by TESO challenging the ban order issued by the city police on the grounds that a division bench is hearing the issue.
Meanwhile, the central government which had earlier banned the use of word `Eelam’ at the meet, reversed its stand Saturday in the wake of opposition from various political parties.
- DMK to submit Tamil meet resolutions to UN: Karunanidhi - Sep 04, 2012
- 'Aug 12 meet to focus on welfare of Sri Lankan Tamils' - Jul 16, 2012
- 175 Sri Lankan tourists to return following protests (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Media trying to create DMK-Congress rift: Karunanidhi - Jun 13, 2011
- Tamil Eelam is my unrealised dream: Karunanidhi - Mar 23, 2012
- Christmas celebrated with fervour in Tamil Nadu - Dec 25, 2011
- DMK to go to people on various issues - Jun 20, 2011
- Question of PMK-DMK alliance doesn't arise now: Karunanidhi - Feb 02, 2011
- DMK to discuss cases against party leaders - Sep 03, 2011
- DMK to discuss government crackdown - Jun 19, 2012
- Ties with Congress smooth: Karunanidhi - Jun 10, 2011
- India should support referendum for Tamil Eelam: Karunanidhi - Apr 18, 2012
- Congress panel consults partymen on seat sharing with DMK - Feb 13, 2011
- DMK calls meeting on Sri Lanka resolution - Mar 17, 2012
- Tie-up with Congress stays but no new ministers: DMK (Fourth Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
Tags: central government, chennai, city police, division bench, livelihood rights, m karunanidhi, madras high court, metropolitan hotel, necessary legal steps, opposition, party headquarters, political parties, public meetings, resolutions, star hotel, sunday afternoon, sunday evening, sunday morning, ymca, young men