Tamil man sets himself ablaze outside UN officeFebruary 14th, 2009 - 1:04 am ICT by IANS
Geneva, Feb 13 (DPA) A man of Tamil origin committed suicide outside the United Nations’ Geneva office by setting himself on fire, UN officials confirmed Friday.
The incident took place the night before, they said. In terms of security, they felt it imposed no threat on the UN as it occurred outside the building.
Last week, thousands of Tamils gathered outside the UN to protest the ongoing conflict in Sri Lanka and asking the world body for humanitarian assistance.
Several hundred people congregated late Friday on the spot where the man burned himself.
- India votes for US resolution on Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Sri Lanka rejects latest war crimes video - Mar 15, 2012
- India votes against Sri Lanka, then mollifies Colombo (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2012
- Amid pressure, PM says India inclined to vote against Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- India inclined to vote against Sri Lanka: PM (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- Tamil activists accuse Lankan Army of purchasing, making landmine parts - Jan 25, 2011
- Sri Lanka lifts ban on UN war crimes team - Dec 19, 2010
- Prevent attacks on Tamils, Karunanidhi tells PM - Mar 22, 2012
- India votes against Sri Lanka, then mollifies Colombo (Intro Roundup) - Mar 22, 2012
- Sri Lanka indicted for war crimes, international probe sought - May 18, 2010
- UN to review Sri Lanka rights situation - Jun 24, 2012
- Geneva vote 'strong message for justice' - Mar 22, 2012
- PM's Sri Lanka resolution statement is evasive and useless: Jayalalithaa - Mar 20, 2012
- India must move UN to bring Rajapaksa to trial: Jayalalithaa - Apr 27, 2011