Tamil leader urges restraint in Sri Lanka warAugust 11th, 2008 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Aug 11 (IANS) Tamil political leader V. Anandasangaree Monday urged the Sri Lankan government and the Tamil Tigers to show restraint in their war. Referring to civilian casualties in the fighting, the Tamil United Liberation Front (TULF) leader said the war had displaced over half the population in the island’s northeast.
“(The people) have undergone immense hardships with no proper food, clothing, shelter and proper medical care,” he said in a statement. “They have lost almost all their possessions. The victims are all innocent civilians.”
Anandasangaree urged the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) to declare a ceasefire and come to the democratic fold. He asked the government to stop air raids to avoid civilian causalities.
“I plead with both parties to the war to act with restraint,” he said.
- Withdraw army from Sri Lanka's northeast, says TULF (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- Confusion over LTTE and civilian casualties: Lanka Defence Secretary tells probe body - Aug 18, 2010
- Satisfied with displaced Sri Lankan Tamils' rehabilitation : EU - Feb 17, 2012
- Colombo treating us like 'aborigines', Tamils tell India - Jun 13, 2011
- Report on Sri Lanka 'war crimes' to be released - Oct 18, 2011
- Tamil Nadu calls for sanctions against Sri Lanka - Jun 08, 2011
- Rajapaksa visit: Vaiko, supporters detained - Sep 21, 2012
- 'Appeasing Tamil flood victims best chance for Sri Lanka to improve maligned image' - Jan 15, 2011
- India should help form Tamil Eelam: Ramadoss - Apr 26, 2011
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- India votes for US resolution on Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Probe rights abuses, CPI-M tells Colombo - Aug 07, 2011
- Manmohan Singh meets Sri Lankan President Rajapaksa in New Delhi - Oct 15, 2010
- Jayalalithaa reiterates her opposition to LTTE - Jul 06, 2010