Talks with China not fruitful: Dalai Lama’s envoyJuly 5th, 2008 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, July 5 (IANS) An envoy of the Dalai Lama Saturday said the seventh round of talks with the Chinese leadership was not fruitful as they were preoccupied with the upcomming Olympics. Special envoys Lodi Gyaltsen Gyari and Kelsang Gyaltsen returned here Friday after holding talks with the Chinese leadership.
“The Chinese are obsessed with the Olympics. There is no need to hold next round of talks before the games,” Gyari told IANS.
“In the course of our discussions we were compelled to candidly convey to our counterparts that in the absence of serious and sincere commitment on their part, the continuation of the present dialogue process would serve no purpose,” he said.
“We will meet again but only after the Olympics,” the envoy added.
This was the second meeting between the two sides since a March crackdown on protesters in Tibet.
The envoys met Du Qinglin, vice-chairman of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference, Executive Vice-Minister Zhu Weiqun and Vice-Minister Sithar.
- 'Only dialogue can resolve Tibet issue' - Nov 14, 2011
- Dalai Lama not legal representative of Tibetans: China - Feb 02, 2010
- Dalai Lama's envoys resign - Jun 03, 2012
- Dalai Lama's envoys re-appointed - Jun 14, 2011
- Tibetan meet aims to break deadlock with China - Oct 07, 2011
- Don't meet Dalai Lama, China warns US - Feb 02, 2010
- Dalai Lama's envoys return after talks with Chinese - Feb 01, 2010
- We tried to dispel China's doubts: Dalai Lama's envoys (Lead) - Feb 02, 2010
- Serious differences with Dalai Lama envoys: China - Nov 10, 2008
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Dalai Lama's representatives to arrive in China for fresh talks - Jan 26, 2010
- Dalai Lama's envoys to hold talks with Chinese leaders - Jan 25, 2010
- Efforts on to restart talks with China: Tibetan PM-in-exile - Oct 12, 2011
- China to Dalai Lama's envoys: Sovereignty of Tibet is non-negotiable - Feb 01, 2010
- No concessions on China's sovereignity, Dalai Lama envoys told - Feb 01, 2010