Talks in Colombo eased tension with Afghanistan: PakistanAugust 4th, 2008 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 4 (Xinhua) Pakistan’s Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani said Monday his talks with Afghan President Hamid Karzai in Colombo have helped to ease tension between the two countries. Gilani and Karzai held bilateral talks on the sidelines of the 15th summit of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) in the Sri Lankan capital which concluded Sunday and agreed to continue the bilateral dialogue.
The talks came amid tensions following allegations by Afghanistan that Pakistan’s intelligence agency ISI was behind a bomb attack on the Indian embassy in Kabul.
“The visit has helped in (reducing) tension and dispelling many apprehensions and misunderstandings with Afghanistan,” the state-run Associated Press of Pakistan (APP) quoted Gilani as saying on his return from Colombo.
The Afghan president said Afghanistan was ready to remove differences with Pakistan, Gilani told reporters.
Gilani also met Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the sidelines of the summit, and the two leaders pledged to engage in peace talks.
- Gilani-led Pakistani delegation in Kabul for talks - Apr 16, 2011
- It was cordial meeting with Karzai: Pakistan - Nov 13, 2011
- Pakistan PM in Kabul for strategic talks (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Gilani calls for Af-Pak cooperation in war on terror (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Pakistani PM visits Afghanistan - Jul 19, 2012
- Pakistan plays down Afghan-India strategic pact - Oct 06, 2011
- Khar to visit Afghanistan Wednesday - Jan 31, 2012
- Karzai moves to allay US' concerns over recent Af-Pak agreements - May 01, 2011
- Afghanistan to support 'brother Pakistan' if US or India attacked: Karzai - Oct 22, 2011
- Islamabad hosts trilateral summit (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Pakistan offers Afghanistan intelligence in Rabbani's killing - Oct 11, 2011
- Peaceful Afghanistan critical for Pakistan: Gilani - Feb 01, 2012
- Gilani surprised by Karzai's aggressive posture - Nov 12, 2011
- Gilani urges Afghan insurgents to join peace talks - Feb 25, 2012
- Stability in Afghanistan significant for Pakistan: Gilani - Sep 17, 2010