Taliban own up air force bus bombing in PakistanAugust 12th, 2008 - 7:59 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 12 (Xinhua) The Taliban insurgents in Pakistan claimed responsibility for the bomb blast targeting an air force bus that killed over a dozen of people in northwestern city of Peshawar Tuesday. Maulvi Omer, spokesman for Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), or Pakistan Alban Movement, said the blast was the response to the military operation in northwestern region, the Geo TV reported.
The TTP spokesman also threatened to launch more attacks against the army if the military operation in the region was not stopped.
According to Inspector General of Police Malik Naveed Khan, the blast occurred when a Pakistan Air Force (PAF) bus was heading to a base near Peshawar, capital city of North West Frontier Province ( NWFP).
At least 13 people, mostly security personnel, were killed and about two dozens injured in the blast.
Pakistan’s security forces are currently engaged in military operations against Taliban militants in the NWFP’s Swat Valley and Bajaur tribal agency.
According to reports, the government troops Tuesday killed 10 more militants in its week-long operation in northwestern tribal region, taking the death toll to more than 170.
On Monday, PAF fighter jets and gunship helicopters pounded several militants’ positions in Bajaur tribal district, killing at least 50 rebels.
Taliban rebels had vowed to take revenge for the military action in the district, where clashes erupted last week when hundreds of militants surrounded a paramilitary base in Loi Sam area.
- 18 militants killed in army operation in Pakistan - Aug 30, 2012
- No talks with Taliban: Rehman Malik - Dec 12, 2011
- Roadside bombs kill five in Pakistan - Jan 03, 2010
- Pak Taliban claims responsibility for Peshawar blast - Aug 13, 2008
- NATO commander meets Pakistan army chief - Sep 10, 2011
- 32 killed in clashes in north-west Pakistan (Lead) - Mar 20, 2010
- Taliban blows up two more primary schools in FATA - Jul 06, 2010
- Roadside bombs kill six in Pakistan (Lead) - Jan 03, 2010
- Key Taliban leader arrested in Islamabad - Jul 03, 2011
- Pakistan clashes kill 11 soldiers, 24 militants (Second Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Obama condemns 'outrageous' suicide attack in northwestern Pak - Dec 26, 2010
- 12 killed as bombings target US consulate in Peshawar (Fourth Lead) - Apr 06, 2010
- Pak Taliban warns Swat people not to buy properties of ANP leaders - Nov 26, 2010
- Seven militants killed in Pakistan's tribal area - Aug 01, 2012
- Eight killed in Pakistan blast (Lead) - May 28, 2011