Taliban leader rejects reports of peace talksDecember 24th, 2008 - 2:18 am ICT by IANS
Kabul, Dec 24 (DPA) Taliban’s supreme leader rejected reports of peace talks between the militants and Afghan government on ways to end the war in Afghanistan, calling the reports as “baseless” and “planned propaganda”.Mullah Mohammad Omar, the fugitive leader of Taliban regime, who has been hiding since the ouster of his regime in late 2001, said in a statement posted at a rebel website that his group had no contacts with the Western-backed Afghan government.
“The truth is that Islamic Emirates of Afghanistan has neither held any negotiation in Saudi Arabia, nor in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), or anywhere else,” Omar was quoted in the statement as saying.
Afghan representatives and former Taliban officials held talks in Mecca in September this year at a meeting hosted by Saudi Arabia King Abdullah, to find ways to end the seven-year war.
Both the Afghan government and Taliban spokesmen rejected the presence of Taliban representatives at the meeting in Mecca, but Afghan officials later said that the militants had agreed to attend in the second round of talks to be held in UAE.
Iranian media also recently said that Mullah Omar sent a letter to Saudi king listing preconditions that included power sharing with the government of President Hamid Karzai and the replacement of tens of thousands of NATO military forces with troops from Islamic countries.
“I neither have sent any letter to Saudi King, or to the opposition side (Afghan government) and neither any message has been sent to my address by them,” Omar said in the statement.
“These things that have been reported are baseless and are part of the planned propaganda by some particular circles,” the Taliban’s one-eyed leader said.
Despite the presence of some 70,000 foreign forces in the country, the Taliban-led insurgents have steadily gained power and extended their writ to larger swathes of the country over the past two years.
With no sign of success against the Taliban and their associated Al Qaeda network, the Afghan government has been aggressively pushing for a negotiated end to hostilities.
Karzai recently vowed to protect Mullah Omar if he renounced violence and agree to negotiate peace.
The overtures by the government were seen by analysts as a means to isolate the Taliban from their Al Qaeda supporters, a move that the US and other western allies would like to see.
Omar has bounty of $10 million for his capture offered by the US government. He did not give any conditions for peace talks in his recent statement, but his spokesmen have previously said the group would not agree to any talks until foreign troops pull out of Afghanistan.
- Mulla Umar refused Karzai's 35,000-govt jobs offer for Taliban fighters - Nov 16, 2010
- Afghan peace efforts: OIC likely to invite Taliban 'as observers' to March summit - Jan 20, 2011
- Saudi Arabia halts Afghan mediation - Nov 07, 2010
- Karzai confirms 'unofficial talks' with Taliban - Oct 11, 2010
- Karzai again calls for national reconciliation - Jul 13, 2012
- Pakistan Army, Afghan Taliban reject report about Mullah Omar's surgery in Karachi - Jan 20, 2011
- Afghan peace dialogue talk "propaganda of occupation forces": Taliban commander - Jan 22, 2011
- Former Taliban member visits UK for secret insurgency-ending talks - Feb 14, 2011
- No objection if Taliban opens office: Minister - Dec 18, 2011
- Afghan president to hold talks with Taliban - Jan 30, 2012
- Taliban demands removal of leaders names from US, UN terror blacklist - Oct 30, 2010
- NATO facilitating Afghan-Taliban talks in Kabul: Official - Oct 14, 2010
- Taliban threatens to kill anyone taking up Afghan Govt's peace talks offer - Nov 07, 2010
- Afghan president to meet Saudi king over peace talk with Taliban - Feb 02, 2010
- Afghanistan dismisses reports of Karzai's secret Taliban meeting - Jun 28, 2010