Taliban are contract killers: Rehman MalikApril 16th, 2012 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 16 (IANS) Terming Sunday’s jail attack in Pakistan as a “pre-planned conspiracy”, Interior minister Rehman Malik Monday said the Taliban were “contract killers” but called themselves “Muslims”.
An audacious Taliban attack on the Bannu jail in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province freed 384 prisoners Sunday.
The interior minister termed the attack as a pre-planned conspiracy and said a new security strategy has been devised after the jailbreak.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Amir Haider Khan Hoti has removed the Bannu commissioner, inspector general of prisons, and deputy superintendent of the Bannu jail from their posts over the jailbreak, Geo News reported.
A report from the provincial interior ministry sent to the federal interior ministry termed the incident a failure of police and intelligence agencies.
It said that despite the presence of three police stations in the vicinity, policemen could not reach the prison on time.
Provincial Information Minister Iftikhar Hussain said an inquiry would be conducted into the late arrival of police.
- Pakistani jailbreak: senior officials transferred - Apr 17, 2012
- Over 140 who fled Pakistan prison back in jail - Apr 22, 2012
- Taliban storm Pakistani jail, free nearly 400 inmates (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Five dead, 24 injured in Pakistan blast (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Pakistani daily rues lack of coordination to fight terror - Jul 13, 2012
- Taliban attack Pakistani jail, nearly 400 escape - Apr 15, 2012
- Jail attack sign of Taliban's strength: daily - Apr 16, 2012
- 400 inmates flee Pakistani jail - Apr 15, 2012
- Pakistani politician survives suicide attack (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Six die in Pakistan suicide blast (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2010
- Video shows Taliban welcome for man who escaped jail - Apr 20, 2012
- 20 killed in blast outside Pakistan police station (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- 'Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan plans to target prominent politicians on Eid' - Sep 06, 2010
- Pakistani politician escapes bid on life, cop killed (Second Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Terror in Pakistan province: 1,400 dead in 2011 - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: chief minister, contract killers, deputy superintendent, geo news, haider khan, hoti, hussain, information minister, intelligence agencies, interior minister, interior ministry, islamabad, jailbreak, late arrival, new security, police stations, policemen, prisons, security strategy, vicinity