Taj Mahal hotel in Delhi intensifies securityNovember 27th, 2008 - 11:36 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 27 (IANS) As its Mumbai branch tackled armed gunmen, blasts and a hostage situation, security at the Taj Mahal hotel here was also intensified Thursday with all visitors being screened and frisked.No visitor was allowed to go up to the rooms without first being cleared by the guest. Bags were being checked as the hotel came under a security blanket.
“I am really scared,” said Michelle, who had come from Singapore to the capital to attend a wedding.
In what is Mumbai’s worst terror attack, at least 87 people, including a foreign tourist and four top police officers, were killed and over 250 injured when terrorists struck in a series of planned and synchronised gunfire and bomb attacks in the heart of India’s financial capital late Wednesday.
Terrorists were reported to be holding tourists and other guests hostage in two five-star hotels, the Taj Intercontinental and the Oberoi Trident, facing the waterfront across the Arabian Sea close to the city’s most important landmark, the Gateway of India.
- Delhi hotels beef up security for Games - Sep 16, 2010
- Terror strikes Mumbai again, 80 killed - Nov 27, 2008
- Delhi's Taj hotels up security, but no contact with Mumbai wing (Lead) - Nov 27, 2008
- Three years on, India remembers 26/11 victims - Nov 26, 2011
- Obamas sign guest book at Taj hotel - Nov 06, 2010
- Kasab death sentence: Mumbai court to decide Feb 21 (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- 26/11: India still awaits Pakistan's decisive action (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2011
- Two boys claim they saw terrorists coming in boats - Nov 27, 2008
- Obama to address students at St. Xavier's College in Mumbai - Nov 02, 2010
- 26/11, a grim reminder of our perilous neighbourhood: Antony - Nov 26, 2010
- Ten terrorists who held Mumbai to ransom - Aug 29, 2012
- We'll always remember 26/11: Obama writes in Taj guest book (Lead) - Nov 06, 2010
- Chidambaram to pay homage to Mumbai terror attack victims - Nov 25, 2010
- Chandigarh gets ready for hotel boom - Aug 19, 2011
- High court to decide on Kasab death sentence Feb 21 (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2011