Taj Corridor case (To go with: Court scraps probe against Mayawati, BSP chief elated)July 6th, 2012 - 7:00 pm ICT by IANS
A case was filed against Bahujan Samaj party supremo Mayawati soon after her third stint as chief minister of Uttar Pradesh came to an end in 2003. She was accused of irregularities in the Rs.175 crore Taj Heritage Corridor case.
Mayawati, and a BSP minister, Naseemuddin Siddiqui, were accused of embezzling funds meant to upgrade tourist facilities near the Taj Mahal.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which probed the case, claimed to have obtained proof that she had used the siphoned money to amass assets in her and her family members’ name.
However, in June 2007, then Uttar Pradesh Governor T.V. Rajeswar refused the CBI sanction to prosecute Mayawati, who had taken over as chief minister for the fourth time, saying there was no “element of corruption” on her part.
The Supreme Court had, in October that year, declined to intervene in the matter, and since then, the case was defunct.
- Court scraps probe against Mayawati, BSP chief elated (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2012
- Court scraps probe against Mayawati, BSP chief elated (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- CBI committed errors in case against Mayawati: SP - Jul 06, 2012
- Justice has been done, says Mayawati (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Justice after nine years, says Mayawati - Jul 06, 2012
- Plea in SC seeks review of quashing of case against Mayawati - Aug 04, 2012
- SC reserves order in Mayawati's assets case (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Mayawati rules out CBI probe against trusted minister - Feb 27, 2012
- Upgrade Mayawati's security, BSP tells Akhilesh - Jul 30, 2012
- High court jolts Mayawati with notice in Taj Corridor case - Sep 18, 2009
- Mayawati's key confidante under Lokayukta's scanner - Dec 13, 2011
- SC quashes CBI probe against Mayawati in graft case (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Ex-Mayawati aide claims threat from minister - Nov 19, 2011
- FIR in disproportionate assets case illegal: Mayawati - Apr 21, 2010
- Boost for Mayawati as SC slams CBI on graft case - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: assets, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, corruption, element, family members name, heritage corridor, irregularities, Mayawati, money, proof, sanction, scraps, siddiqui, stint, supreme court, taj mahal, tourist facilities