Taj city shivers at four degreesDecember 16th, 2011 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Dec 16 (IANS) It is freezing cold in the city of the Taj Mahal these days, with the minimum temperature on the last two nights hovering around 4 degrees Celsius.
“Though the day is bright, the abrupt fall in the night temperature is causing a lot of hardships to people who have to catch trains or be on the roads for some work,” said Sudhir Gupta, a resident of the city’s Vijay Nagar colony.
A misty layer enveloped the city early Friday morning, but as the day progressed, sun rays brought some relief.
Winter chill has, however, not deterred tourists visiting the city.
“The holiday season has begun and we expect the number of tourists to steeply shoot up. Agra this year has proved to be a popular destination for the domestic tourists and the number of foreign visitors also has increased,” says Rakesh Chauhan, president of the Agra Hotels and Restaurants Association.
Last week, the daily average number of visitos to the Taj crossed 20,000. In 2010, more than five million tourists visited the Taj Mahal.
- Agra shivers but visitors throng Taj - Dec 28, 2011
- Heat hits tourism in Agra (With Image) - May 28, 2012
- On World Tourism Day, Agra looks to air connectivity - Sep 27, 2011
- Cold keeps grip on north India, fog affects 51 trains (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Agra tourism industry looks forward to Air India connection - May 30, 2011
- Agra despairs over Western advisory - Oct 26, 2011
- Helping hands spread warmth among Agra poor - Nov 30, 2011
- Record holiday crowd at Taj Mahal - Dec 26, 2010
- Fog envelopes Agra, trains disrupted - Jan 07, 2011
- Yet again, no doctor on call at Taj! - May 20, 2010
- Agra promises a better deal for tourists - Aug 07, 2011
- Taj city shivers at 1.7 degrees - Feb 09, 2012
- Agra heat fails to deter tourists - Jun 21, 2010
- Agra hit by fog, intense cold - Jan 22, 2010
- UP plans big push for tourism in Taj city - May 03, 2012
Tags: agra hotels, celsius, domestic tourists, four degrees, friday morning, hardships, holiday season, minimum temperature, night temperature, restaurants association, shivers, sudhir gupta, sun rays, taj mahal, trains, vijay nagar colony, winter chill