Taj city fogged out, commuters hitJanuary 5th, 2012 - 2:09 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Jan 5 (IANS) Agra was all wrapped up in a thick blanket of fog Thursday, and the Met Office has forecast similar foggy conditions Friday and some showers Saturday.
Poor visibility affected rail and road transport, and toursists were disappointed at a Taj completely shrouded by the fog. The city folk were waiting for the sun to break through the murky sky even till noon.
“Those who have spent money and come to Agra to see the Taj Mahal feel a little disappointed by the vagaries of nature. A clear sky would have made Taj a memorable experience for many,” said tourist guide Ved Gautam.
“A large number of tourists from south India, not familiar with Agra winter, are having a tough time negotiating with the searing cold,” he said.
On Wednesday, the fog made movement difficult. Goods trains were halted for hours at smaller stations between Delhi and Agra.
“Because of poor visibility, train drivers have been told to drive cautiously and slowly, this is causing the delay,” said a railway official.
Though the minimum temperature has not dropped below 8 degrees Celsius, the foggy conditions have hit normal life and forced people to either stay home or shut down shops and establishments early in the evenings.
Parents have demanded extension of winter vacations after some schools reopened Wednesday. District authorities have already asked primary schools to open only after 9 a.m.
- Agra fogged out, records season's lowest - Dec 19, 2011
- Taj city fogged out, traffic movement affected - Jan 18, 2012
- Agra gets to enjoy the sun - Jan 12, 2012
- Heat hits tourism in Agra (With Image) - May 28, 2012
- Agra finally gets rains - Jul 26, 2012
- Agra records season's coldest night at 0.6 degree - Jan 06, 2011
- Fog claims 15 lives in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 24, 2011
- Warmer day in the plains, winter woes elsewhere (Intro Roundup) - Jan 14, 2011
- Warmer day in the plains, winter woes elsewhere (Roundup) - Jan 14, 2011
- North India reels under cold onslaught (Roundup) - Jan 18, 2012
- Blinding fog hits life in northern India again (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2010
- Sunny morning brings relief to Agra - Jan 23, 2012
- Fog envelopes Agra, trains disrupted - Jan 07, 2011
- Agra schools close for two days as mercury dips - Jan 03, 2011
- Why Taj city is raising a stink - Nov 22, 2011
Tags: clear sky, commuters, district authorities, establishments, evenings, fog, foggy conditions, goods trains, memorable experience, minimum temperature, poor visibility, railway official, road transport, south india, taj mahal, thick blanket, tourist guide, train drivers, vagaries, winter vacations