Tainted police officer accused of falsely implicating NRI familyJanuary 28th, 2009 - 11:24 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 28 (IANS) A Britain based Punjabi family Wednesday accused tainted Indian Police Service officer Shajji Mohan, who was arrested in Mumbai Sunday with 12 kg heroin, of falsely implicating them in more than a drugs trafficking case.Baljinder Singh, 53, his son Sukhjinder Singh, (both British nationals), and Nigerian national John F. Kennedy were allegedly caught with eight kilograms of heroin in 2007. They are lodged in Burail jail here.
However, defence counsel Kuldeep Singh Chaudhary denied the charges and said the NCB officials, led by Shajji Mohan, a former zonal director of the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) in Chandigarh, were demanding money from the accused to get them freed.
“The husband and son of the applicant were kidnapped from Chandigarh by the NCB officials Dec 10, 2007. They showed their arrest on the night of Dec 11 with a contraband of heroin in a car that was registered in Uttarakhand,” Chaudhary told reporters.
“The NCB officials led by Shajji Mohan demanded Rs.10 million from their family members for freeing them. They even gave life threats to the family,” said Chaudhary.
Mohan, an IPS officer of the 1995 Jammu and Kashmir cadre, was arrested with a contraband of 12 kg heroin in a Mumbai suburb Sunday.
Baljinder Singh’s wife Amarjit Kaur has filed a plea in the high court here challenging the Dec 20 arrests. The case is pending.
The applicant also submitted a written complaint at NCB office in New Delhi and sent a copy to ATS chief in Mumbai Wednesday.
“We met Ish Sharma, deputy director general of NCB, Wednesday morning and apprised him about the situation. He has assured us of fair and free investigation in this case,” said Chaudhary.
- Corruption charge filed against embezzling official - Feb 25, 2011
- Court frames charges against former narcotics bureau official - Nov 23, 2010
- Narcotics Bureau probes tainted cop's operations in Chandigarh - Jan 27, 2009
- Drug dealer gets death penalty - Jan 29, 2012
- Chandigarh police to quiz Shajji Mohan in Mumbai - Jan 26, 2009
- Another arrest mars drug bureau's reputation in Chandigarh - Sep 07, 2009
- Mumbai ATS nabs senior police officer with heroin - Jan 25, 2009
- Police seize 2 kg heroin, 1 arrested - Sep 15, 2010
- 75 kg of heroin seized in Punjab - Apr 06, 2011
- Anti-narcotics police officer turns drug peddler (To go with - Mumbai ATS nabs senior police officer) - Jan 25, 2009
- Mumbai ATS nabs senior police officer with 12 kg heroin (Lead) - Jan 25, 2009
- Punjab slapgate gets wider; protestors caned before Badal - Dec 07, 2011
- Body of kidnapped boy found, traffic blocked (Lead) - Jan 05, 2011
- Chandigarh kidnapping case: Three cops suspended - Jan 19, 2011
- Hashish worth Rs.32 lakh seized, two held - Dec 27, 2010