T-series lays off 230 employees in NoidaDecember 17th, 2008 - 9:14 pm ICT by IANS
Noida, Dec 17 (IANS) Workers at the Noida-based Super Cassettes Industries, owner of music label T-Series, went on a day’s strike after the company laid off 230 employees Tuesday.The retrenchment follows a weak performance of the firm’s cassettes segment, its mainstay. The firm has around 1,300 employees, out of which 800 are permanent and 500 are on contract.
Super Cassettes has four units in Noida.
“The company has cheated us by not giving us the notice earlier,” union leader Gopal G. Singh said.
“On Tuesday, when we went to work, we were told that we need not come again. It is an injustice to us. We tried to hold talks with the management but they did not listen to us at all,” he said.
Singh workers have been offered severance pay for 65 days. “We have demanded that either we are reinstated or paid a VRS equivalent for 105 days,” he said.
Referring to the retrenched workers, a senior management staffer, who did not wish to be named, said: “These people were not performing and were under observation. They were also warned earlier about their poor work performance but did not show any signs of improvement.”
- Police nab kidnappers of industrialist, recover money - Oct 13, 2011
- Conciliation meeting between Ford India union and management Tuesday - Apr 03, 2012
- Talks to start Monday to resolve Maruti strike - Oct 15, 2011
- Hyundai workers want union recognition decided on ballot - May 16, 2011
- Trouble grows in Ford India after seven workers suspended - Mar 30, 2012
- Workers, management clash in Noida factory - Jun 11, 2011
- Two held with revolvers at Delhi airport - Apr 04, 2011
- India conveys concern to US over protectionism - May 08, 2012
- Three workers injured in police firing in Yanam - Jan 27, 2012
- Maruti deadlock continues as talks fail - Oct 17, 2011
- Morning mood of employees affects how they feel the rest of the day - Apr 05, 2011
- Uninor in talks with rival firms to absorb employees - Aug 08, 2012
- Work to resume at Ford India's Chennai plant Friday - Mar 30, 2012
- Sacked Hundai workers detained, hunger-strike foiled - Nov 30, 2011
- Protesting Hyundai workers roll out cars on empty stomach - Nov 30, 2011