Syrian opposition asks US to introduce no-fly zoneAugust 29th, 2012 - 10:25 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 29 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The opposition Syrian Support Group has called on the US to immediately establish a no-fly zone over Syria.
The group, which represents the rebel Free Syrian Army in Washington, claimed that Syria’s ruling authorities have intensified use of air strikes to attack cities held by rebels.
Louay Sakka, co-founder of the Syrian Support Group, said: “This is right now the time for a no-fly zone to take place. We need to stop the fixed-wing and helicopters from attacking. The regime cannot hold ground without air power or heavy artillery.”
The Syrian conflict has claimed up to 20,000 lives, according to estimates by various groups.
- Italy assigns eight combat aircraft for Libya air strikes - Apr 28, 2011
- Syrian military chopper shot down - Aug 28, 2012
- Libyan rebels ask for weapons, says Italy - Apr 13, 2011
- Russian troops won't be sent to Syria: Lavrov - Mar 15, 2012
- Arab League states seek suspension of Syria - Jun 15, 2011
- Prepare to take power: Germany, Italy tell Syrian opposition - Aug 30, 2012
- NATO campaign aimed at ousting Gaddafi - Russian NATO envoy - May 25, 2011
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- Syrian opposition hopes Russia helps end conflict - Sep 06, 2012
- Pro-Gaddafi forces renew air attacks on rebels - Mar 08, 2011
- France ready to recognise Syrian opposition as government - Aug 28, 2012
- Robert Gates unaware about no-fly zone's duration in Libya - Mar 28, 2011
- UAE to send 12 planes on Libya mission: Sarkozy - Mar 25, 2011
- Twin blasts kill 12 at Syria funeral - Aug 29, 2012
- Qatar fighters patrol Libyan air space - Mar 26, 2011
Tags: air strikes, authorities, co founder, conflict, estimates, fly, fly zone, heavy artillery, helicopters, rebels, regime, ria novosti, support group, syria, syrian army, syrian opposition, syrian support