Syrian hackers target Russian embassy websiteJanuary 31st, 2012 - 9:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 31 (IANS) Syrian cyber-guerrillas had hacked into the Russian embassy website in India to protest against Moscow’s policy in the violence-hit country, but the portal has been restored, an embassy official said Tuesday.
In a late Sunday night hacking attack, Syrian activists implanted the websites of the Russian embassies in India and Singapore with videograbs of young children killed in an alleged massacre in that country last week.
However, the cyber attack was successfully repulsed, and now the website is fully functional, the embassy’s senior counsellor Sergey Karmalito said in a statement.
“It was claimed that the work of these websites was paralysed - hackers posted photos of killed young children and an appeal to Russian authorities to cut off arms supplies to Bashar al Assad regime,” said Karmalito.
“In spite of such allegations, obviously based on the information passed to the media by cyber-pirates themselves, there was no such information on the website of the Russian embassy in India,” added Karmalito.
Even as the US is pushing for the ouster of the Bashar al Assad regime in Syria, Russia has mounted a stiff resistance and argued that Washington, when dealing with other countries, must respect the principle of sovereignty.
- 'Anonymous' hacks Syrian government website - Aug 08, 2011
- US downplays Syrian offer to discuss Assad's resignation - Aug 22, 2012
- UNSC draft on Syria sends unbalanced signal: Russia - Feb 05, 2012
- Czech Republic buys armoured car for ambassador in Syria - Aug 04, 2012
- India asks its citizens, mission staff to leave Syria - Jul 24, 2012
- No Arab spring in Syria, only cross-border terror: Envoy - Jul 11, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- Russian, Western differences on Syria exaggerated: Medvedev - Jul 31, 2012
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
- Half of Russia sees foreign meddling in Syria - Jul 28, 2012
- US breaks Pentagon-Russian arms exporter ties - Jul 20, 2012
- Russia urges West to tone down anti-Syria stance - Mar 16, 2012
- Prepare to take power: Germany, Italy tell Syrian opposition - Aug 30, 2012
- Syrian PM's defection shows isolation of Assad: Italy - Aug 06, 2012
- Put pressure on Assad: Italy urges nations - Jul 28, 2012
Tags: activists, allegations, bashar al assad, counsellor, cyber attack, cyber pirates, embassies in india, embassy in india, embassy official, embassy website, guerrillas, New Delhi, ouster, russian authorities, russian embassies, russian embassy, sovereignty, spite, stiff resistance, target