Syrian envoy rejects $1 mn for defectionAugust 12th, 2012 - 1:43 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Syrian ambassador to Mauritania has rejected an offer of $1 million to defect in exchange for permanent residence in Qatar, Iran’s Press TV reported.
It said the Qatari ambassador to Mauritania allegedly made the offer to Hamad Seed Albni. The Syrian envoy was also promised $20,000 salary for 20 years.
The Syrian diplomat, however, rejected the proposal, calling it a “blatant interference” in Syria’s affairs, Press TV said.
Last week, Syrian Prime Minister Riyad Hijab defected to Jordan and joined the opposition.
Syrian ambassadors to Iraq, the United Arab Emirates and Cyprus have also joined the opposition.
The Syrian conflict has between 14,000 and 20,000 lives since March 2011, according to estimates by opposition groups and the UN.
- Assad regime on verge of collapse: Syrian ex-PM - Aug 15, 2012
- Assad appoints former health minister as PM - Aug 09, 2012
- Syrian state TV station bombed in Damascus, PM fired - Aug 06, 2012
- Russia printing Syrian currency - Jun 14, 2012
- Prepare to take power: Germany, Italy tell Syrian opposition - Aug 30, 2012
- Syrian vice president defects: Rebels - Aug 18, 2012
- Terrorist leader killed in Syria - Aug 13, 2012
- Syrian PM's defection shows isolation of Assad: Italy - Aug 06, 2012
- Syrian rebels shoot down MiG - Aug 14, 2012
- Japanese, Syrian journalists killed in clashes - Aug 21, 2012
- Twin blasts kill 12 at Syria funeral - Aug 29, 2012
- Syrian forces storm rebel-held Aleppo - Aug 14, 2012
- France ready to recognise Syrian opposition as government - Aug 28, 2012
- Syrian PM joins rebels, flees to Jordan: Reports (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Ban backs UN presence in Syria - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: 1 million, ambassadors, conflict, cyprus, defection, diplomat, estimates, interference, mauritania, moscow, opposition groups, permanent residence, prime minister, proposal, qatar, ria novosti, salary, syria, syrian ambassador, united arab emirates