Syria ready for ’synchronized pullout’ : RussiaJune 23rd, 2012 - 3:06 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Syrian leadership has told Russia about its readiness to withdraw armed forces from the country’s cities in parallel with Syrian opposition forces, according to Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.
Lavrov was speaking Friday after meeting his Syrian counterpart Walid Muallem.
“Among the most important positions in our vision for the forthcoming conference on Syria is that the government forces and armed forces of the opposition should make a synchronized withdrawal of forces from towns and centres of population under control of international observers, Lavrov told Rossiya 24 TV.
“The Syrian government has told me today they are ready to do this,” he added.
- Russia upbeat on Syria conference - Jun 30, 2012
- Russia denies supplying gunships to Syria - Jun 25, 2012
- 'No Syrian crisis settlement without Russia, China' - Apr 28, 2012
- Russia denies changing its stance on Syria - Jun 22, 2012
- Syrian army fighting 'militants, 'provocateurs': Russia - Jun 16, 2011
- Moscow calls for political pressure on Syria to end violence - Jun 22, 2011
- Russia calls for probe into Syrian massacre - May 30, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil war: Russia - Apr 21, 2012
- Syrian opposition to visit Moscow - Apr 05, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Russian arms supply to Syria not for protesters: Lavrov - Jun 10, 2012
- Bus carrying Russians attacked in Syria - Jun 10, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: armed forces, foreign minister, forthcoming conference, government forces, international observers, june 23, opposition forces, population, pullout, ria novosti, russia moscow, sergei lavrov, syria, syrian counterpart, syrian government, syrian leadership, syrian opposition