Syria freezes ties with Iraq: reportsOctober 31st, 2008 - 9:40 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Oct 31 (DPA) Syria has frozen its ties with Iraq following a cross-border attack by US forces on a Syrian village, the Dubai-based al-Arabiya news network reported Friday.It said the Iraqi charge d’affaires had been summoned to the Syrian foreign ministry in Damascus and told that economic cooperation was being frozen, as was cooperation between security services.
Syria says eight civilians were killed in Sunday’s cross-border, helicopter-backed attack on the village of al-Sukkariya, while witnesses said seven people were killed and one man was abducted.
Thousands of people marched in the streets of Damascus Thursday to protest the raid. Protesters included dozens of students from the Syrian region of Bokmal, the location of Sunday’s raid.
They protested near the US embassy, which was surrounded by Syrian riot police and closed for the day.
The US government has not commented officially on the raid, but unofficial reports say an Al Qaeda terrorist was killed or wounded in the attack.
- Police guarding Lebanese envoy's house in Syria killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Syrian envoy to UAE defects after wife joins rebels - Jul 25, 2012
- Nearly 90 killed in new massacre in Syria: Report - Jun 07, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- Eight killed in US raid on Syrian village - Oct 27, 2008
- Put pressure on Assad: Italy urges nations - Jul 28, 2012
- Arab Spring in Syria? Picnickers tell a different story - Apr 21, 2012
- 25 shot dead in Syria - Apr 26, 2011
- Significant devastation in Syria's Homs: UN official - Mar 09, 2012
- Russia opposes Libya-style UN action on Syria(Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- 20 Palestinians killed in Syria attack - Aug 03, 2012
- Damascus calls in diplomat over attack: US sources - Oct 27, 2008
- Syrian TV denies intelligence chief's murder - Aug 27, 2012
- Over 3,000 protesters rally in Syria - May 14, 2011
- Around 90 killed in fresh massacre in Syria: Report (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012