Syria backs Hamas-Israel truceJune 18th, 2008 - 10:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 18 (IANS) Syria backed the ceasefire between Palestinian group Hamas and Israel, and hoped that the Jewish state fulfilled its commitments under the agreement, said Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem here Wednesday. “We support the agreement (between Hamas and Israel). We are waiting to see if the Israelis adhere to the commitments of the truce,” Muallem told a Syrian journalist here.
The minister is in New Delhi to accompany Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on his five-day visit.
He added that Israel should immediately remove the siege on Gaza.
Earlier, Israel and Hamas had reached a ceasefire agreement, brokered by Egypt, effective from Thursday. Israel agreed to ease its blockade of Gaza from next week.
- Syria's Assad unveils new government - Jun 23, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil war: Russia - Apr 21, 2012
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Arab League adopts sanctions against Syria - Nov 28, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- US sees no Iranian role in ending Syrian violence - Jul 11, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Former U.S. President Carter calls for including Hamas in peace talks - Oct 20, 2010
- Jordan, Syria blast plan to demolish Jerusalem homes - Jun 25, 2010
- 'Terrorists may get hold of Syrian chemical weapons' - Jun 12, 2012
- Israel Navy intercepts Gaza-bound aid vessels - Nov 04, 2011
- No truce without lifting of siege on Gaza: Hamas - Feb 07, 2009
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Russia supports Syrians' decision on leadership - Mar 18, 2012
- Iran stresses support to Syria - Aug 27, 2012