Symonds to make a comeback in Test series against New ZealandOctober 30th, 2008 - 1:23 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Oct 30 (IANS) Troubled Australian cricketer Andrew Symonds, who was put on mental rehabilitation by Cricket Australia (CA), is believed to have recovered and will make his return to the national team in the Test series against New Zealand starting Nov 20.According to a report in The Age, Cricket Australia’s (CA) chief executive met Symonds to gauge his recovery and was impressed with the burly Queenslander’s progress.
Symonds was axed from the Australian cricket team after he skipped a team meeting in Darwin this August and went fishing instead. He was suspended from the team, following which he was put on mental rehabilitation.
Sutherland after meeting Symonds didn’t specify when the all-rounder would make his return to the national team, but it is expected that he will be in the team for the first Test against New Zealand in Brisbane.
“We had a good chat. Over the last month or so, I’ve had regular chats with Andrew over the phone and I caught up with him face-to-face in Brisbane a few weeks ago - as much as anything, to be able to talk to him face-to-face and see how he’s coming along. It was a good chat,” Sutherland was quoted as saying by The Age here Thursday.
“He’d probably be liking to make a few more runs. I think he’s in a good place. I know talking to him and others who are close to him as he seeks to come back to full strength - mental, physical and skill-wise - that he’s progressing really well,” he added.
Sutherland went on to add that CA’s only concern now is Symonds’ on-field form.
“Certainly in terms of effort and application, everything is really, really good,” he said.
Symonds has scored just 43 runs in seven innings for Queensland since he was booted from the Australian team.
- South African Arthur appointed Australia's cricket coach - Nov 22, 2011
- Symonds career in jeopardy after being dumped from Oz squad - Jun 04, 2009
- Former rugby player named performance manager of Australian cricket - Oct 13, 2011
- 'Free spirit' Symonds happy out of cricketing spotlight - Dec 23, 2010
- Queensland cricket authorities back Symonds - Jun 06, 2009
- Symonds dropped from Australian World Twenty20 squad - Jun 04, 2009
- Australian capital to host maiden ODI - Jun 08, 2012
- CA likely to decide Symonds' fate Wednesday - Nov 25, 2008
- CA congratulates Paul Reiffel on Test umpiring debut - Jul 25, 2012
- Symonds was an innocent victim: Cricket Australia - Nov 26, 2008
- Clarke asks his team to play fair against India - Dec 24, 2011
- Australian cricket team to play Afghanistan next month - Jul 02, 2012
- Symonds is ''ready to return'' for Australia, says board chief - Oct 08, 2008
- Cricket Australia backs minnow nations' ban from World Cup - Apr 05, 2011
- Queensland Cricket says won't turn its back on Symonds - Jun 07, 2009