Symonds faces hearing for abusing McCullumJanuary 27th, 2009 - 12:43 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 27 (IANS) Controversial Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds has been charged by Cricket Australia (CA) and will face a disciplinary hearing here Thursday over a radio interview in which he called New Zealand wicketkeeper Brendon McCullum a “lump of s..t”.CA has reported the all-rounder for an alleged breach of the Code of Behaviour following the radio interview with Roy & HG on Triple M Friday night. In a media release issued by CA Tuesday, the report alleges that Symonds breached the provisions relating to detrimental public comment.
“Given the importance of the tribunal hearing, it would be inappropriate to comment on the issue now a report has been made. Once the outcome of this hearing is finalised, CA will be in a better position to assess issues relating to Andrew Symonds,” CA’s acting chief executive Michael Brown said in a statement.
Symonds’ outburst was prompted by New South Wales’ (NSW) decision to recruit McCullum for its Twenty20 final and he felt it was an “injustice” that a local player had to make way for the New Zealander.
“We love to hate them, but he (McCullum) is a lump of s..t, sorry, lump of cow dirt that people are thinking of,” Symonds said on the radio interview.
Symonds later issued a statement and expressed his remorse.
“My intentions for this interview were light-hearted and my comments no way reflect the respect that I have for McCullum both on and off the field. I understand how this has been received differently to the way in which I intended to express myself and for that I am extremely sorry.”
The hearing will be presided over by CA Code of Conduct senior commissioner Gordon Lewis here Thursday.
- Symonds fined by Cricket Australia for on-air abuse - Jan 29, 2009
- Ponting to seek explanation from Symonds on McCullum comment - Jan 26, 2009
- Symonds charged, may be fined on Thursday - Jan 27, 2009
- Slurring Symonds lands in trouble over radio interview - Jan 25, 2009
- Cricket Australia may ask Symonds to explain slur on McCullum - Jan 25, 2009
- Symonds radio rant puts CA in a difficult position again - Jan 24, 2009
- Symonds fined 4000 dollars for McCullum radio rant - Jan 29, 2009
- Symonds may face further psychological and alcohol rehabilitation - Jan 26, 2009
- Symonds''s state of mind is now on trial - Jan 30, 2009
- Doctor''s report could save Symonds - Jan 28, 2009
- Troubled Symonds to make a comeback in first-class cricket - Jan 27, 2009
- Symonds outburst perfect motivation for McCullum - Feb 01, 2009
- Symonds left out of South Africa series - Feb 03, 2009
- Symonds reunites with girlfriend - Mar 02, 2009
- Morgan, Mendis top T20 batting and bowling rankings - Oct 24, 2011