Swiss to use military to protect ships against piracyDecember 22nd, 2008 - 8:04 am ICT by IANS
Berne, Dec 22 (DPA) Switzerland is to protect its ships near the Horn of Africa by military means, Swiss President Pascal Couchepin said in an interview published Sunday in the weekly SonntagsZeitung.”There is no solution other than to send some soldiers if our ships are threatened,” Couchepin said. “We have no other choice. Do you want to go to the pirates and say: ‘Stop, we’re neutral - please highjack that ship over there’?”
Switzerland’s merchant navy contains around 35 freighters and tankers with some 600 mariners.
A decision by the government has not yet been made, as the juridical questions have to be clarified. Military personnel participating in such an action, however, would be volunteers.
“It is no an act of war, but a police action for the protection of Swiss ships,” said Couchepin, who is also minister of the interior.
Switzerland, which is not a member of the European Union, is also considering sending elite troops to join the EU’s Atalanta operation to protect ships in the area. In exchange, the EU would be ready to escort Swiss ships.
In the past week, a Swiss freighter was pursued by pirates for the first time, although no attack occurred.
- Emirati-Swiss friendship forum opens in Switzerland - Jun 23, 2011
- Bahamas-flagged merchant vessel escapes pirate attack - Nov 17, 2010
- Frenchwoman being held by Somali pirates rescued - Sep 12, 2011
- Indian Govt. mulling idea of having armed guards on merchant ships - Mar 15, 2011
- Family seeks release of Indian sailor from pirates - Apr 07, 2012
- Denmark to deploy surveillance aircraft against Somali pirates - Oct 28, 2011
- Time to frame rules to protect our fisherfolk (Comment) - Jul 23, 2012
- Somali pirates hijack two more ships, release third: source - Dec 29, 2009
- EU suggests 'bilateral track' to resolve India-Italy row - Mar 10, 2012
- Somali pirates release Bulgarian-flagged chemical product tanker after four months - Sep 09, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack India bound chemical tanker - Jan 02, 2010
- Tough to control piracy: Minister - Apr 23, 2011
- Greek tanker fights off pirates in Arabian Sea (Lead) - Dec 01, 2009
- India for strong measures to combat pirates - Apr 20, 2011
- Foreign ships plying close to Indian coast warned - Mar 13, 2012