Swimming champion drowns while paying homage to 26/11 victimsDecember 30th, 2008 - 4:18 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 30 (IANS) Maharashtra swimming champion Vinod Ghadge, who was swimming in the Arabian Sea early Tuesday to pay homage to the victims of the Nov 26 Mumbai terror attacks, got entangled in fishing nets and drowned, police said.Ghadge, 50, plunged into the cold water of the Arabian sea at Dharamtar village in Raigad, about 36 km from here, at about 2.30 a.m. He intended to swim to the Gateway of India.
However, around 10 nautical miles from the Gateway of India, he got entangled in the fishing nets and drowned at about 4.30 a.m., police said.
Ghadge, an employee of the state government’s sales tax department, had been chosen for this year’s Shiv Chhatrapati Award - the highest sports award of the state.
“He died like a hero in his attempt to pay respect to the victims and martyrs of the 26/11 terror attacks,” Mahesh Chanduirkar, president of the Maharashtra Sales Tax Gazetted Officers’ Association (MSTGOA), told IANS.
Ghadge’s body was pulled out of the sea by the police and fishermen. He is survived by his wife Uma, a nine-year-old son and a 11-year-old daughter.
- Three engineering students drown in Arabian Sea - Jun 10, 2012
- Five speedboats to boost Maharashtra's coastal security - Sep 19, 2010
- Five speedboats to boost Maharashtra's coastal vigil (Lead) - Sep 19, 2010
- Four swimmers still missing in Maharashtra's Ratnagiri - Aug 19, 2012
- Two drown at Maharashtra beach - Sep 26, 2010
- Six drown in western Maharashtra - Aug 01, 2010
- MNS leader arrested for cheating - May 05, 2011
- Four fishing boats sink off Maharashtra town, 18 missing - Sep 03, 2011
- Coast Guard steps up vigil with new station - Sep 30, 2010
- Foreign ships plying close to Indian coast warned - Mar 13, 2012
- Two drown off Mumbai's Juhu beach - Aug 20, 2012
- Missing fishing boat found after 40 days with six bodies - Dec 20, 2009
- Three children drown while playing in pool - May 20, 2011
- Jharkhand youth among 2 fishermen drowned near Thane - Mar 10, 2012
- Oil poisoning? Alarming sea animal deaths on India's west coast (With Images) - Apr 07, 2012