Sweden to open consulate-general in Mumbai next yearOctober 19th, 2011 - 5:39 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 19 (IANS) Sweden will open a consulate-general in Mumbai by mid-2012, visiting Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt said here Wednesday.
“India’s importance for Sweden is growing, which is why there is cause to increase Swedish presence in the country’s increasingly important market,” he said.
“The opening of a Consulate-General in Mumbai is part of Sweden’s increased efforts to build longterm and broad relations with India,” Bildt announced.
Bildt said contacts between Sweden and India had increased and widened considerably in recent years, especially at the political, business, research and students levels.
He added that the promotion of Sweden will be a central part of the proposed consulate-general, which would have a significant role in developing a network of contacts with representatives of India’s business sector and institutions.
Bildt arrived here Tuesday on a three-day visit, during which he will meet Indian officials as well as leaders of financial institutions.
During his stay in Mumbai, Bildt is scheduled to have meetings with officials of the Reserve Bank of India and the National Stock Exchange and leading Indian and Swedish companies.
In New Delhi, he will hold talks with his Indian counterpart S.M. Krishna, National Security Advisor Shiv Shankar Menon and Yashwant Sinha of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
He will also take part in the fifth edition of the embassy’s annual Sweden India Nobel Memorial Week.
- Swedish foreign minister in India - Oct 18, 2011
- Impressed by Aakash, Swedish minister to meet Datawind CEO - Oct 18, 2011
- Sweden to hold Nobel quiz in Bangalore - Sep 01, 2011
- Swedish embassy to hold photography competition - Jun 18, 2012
- Schengen visa processor VFS expands operations - Apr 18, 2012
- Of eggs, medicines and growing Indian connection in Liberia - Jan 23, 2011
- Nobel Memorial Week begins in capital - Oct 22, 2010
- Kashyap retrospective in Hamburg - Jul 10, 2012
- Much scope to increase trade, India tells Swedish firms - Oct 27, 2010
- Nobel menu card show comes to capital - Oct 13, 2011
- Jatin Das, Dom Moraes capture Sweden's summer of '88 - Jun 23, 2011
- Yemen's consulate to boost historic ties with Hyderabad - Jun 07, 2012
- Venu Rajamony to be President Mukherjee's press secretary - Jul 28, 2012
- Stockholm suicide bomber was 'minutes away from something catastrophic' - Dec 15, 2010
- Largest-ever Australian trade mission to visit India - Jan 27, 2012