Swastika daubed on Berlin’s Holocaust MemorialFebruary 23rd, 2008 - 7:36 pm ICT by admin
Berlin, Feb 23 (DPA) A swastika and other symbols associated with German rightwing extremism have been daubed on the Holocaust Memorial in the centre of Berlin, police said Saturday. A member of the staff that watches over the sea of 2,711 concrete stelae that make up the memorial near the Brandenburg Gate had discovered the vandalism midday Friday, the police said.
The police report also referred to a number combination found at the same time without being specific. The numeral 88 is used by neo-Nazis to refer to the eighth letter of the alphabet and is interpreted as HH - or Heil Hitler.
Police said they were investigating. Vandalism to Holocaust memorials is treated in Germany as a crime against democracy.
The memorial was designed by US architect Peter Eisenman and completed in May 2005. Some 10,000 people on an average visit the memorial every day.
Many of the stelae have revealed hairline cracks over recent months, but Eisenman and the Berlin authorities maintaining the memorial insist they are not significant.
- Hitler's exhibition in Berlin extended due to throngs of visitors - Jan 07, 2011
- Neo-nazis dominate German village where Hitler is still considered Fuehrer - Feb 07, 2011
- Remains of Hitler's deputy cremated in Germany - Jul 22, 2011
- Germany's first Hitler exhibition seeks to break age-old taboos - Oct 13, 2010
- A neo-Nazi shrine made from the ruins of Hitler's luxury retreat - Apr 02, 2010
- Remains of Hitler's deputy to be destroyed - Jul 21, 2011
- Iran launches website to undermine Holocaust - Aug 05, 2010
- Neo-Nazis planning massive march in Germany to protest London memorial to Dresden bombers - Feb 05, 2011
- UK tour firm slammed for $3100 Adolf Hitler tour - Jan 10, 2011
- Holocaust soap made from human fat on sale in Canada! - Mar 27, 2010
- Skirmishes as 750 neo-Nazis demonstrate in Berlin - Oct 10, 2009
- 'Gurdwara shooter was a neo-Nazi' - Aug 10, 2012
- Hitler once worshipped as Vishnu in elite Kolkata homes: Historian - Jun 07, 2010
- Hate graffiti defaces anti-Nazi museum in Italy - Jan 29, 2010
- Apple removes Nazi Party anthem from iTunes online store - Jan 28, 2011