Swarm of bees stings dog to deathJuly 15th, 2011 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 15 (IANS) A puppy, attacked by a swarms of bees from a neighbourhood hive in Britain, died after they stung her over 100 times.
Keeley Connolly’s 15-month-old German shepherd Sara was playing in the garden when she was set upon by bees from neighbour Susan Mowforth’s hive, Daily Mail reported Friday.
An ex-stockbroker Connolly found the distressed animal at her door and let her into the house. Within no time, her living room was filled with bees.
She tried to drive Sara to the vet, but felt forced to stop after her car was filled with the angry swarm.
The dog was given ice blankets and kept under 24-hour care, but was put down after a plasma transfusion resulted in internal bleeding.
Connolly, who lives with husband Grant and their six-year-old daughter Sam in Andover, Hampshire, said she wanted beekeepers to be more careful about where they put their hives.
She said: “The vet said they had never seen a dog stung so many times.
“The veterinary staff were distressed because of the amount of pain Sara had been in.
“After the operation we got a phone call saying it had gone well but then she got worse again and the vet said we should put her down because they didn’t think she would pull through.”
“If it had happened an hour later, my daughter would have been at home and I hate to think what would have happened,” she added.
- Mum saves kids by pinning down attacking dog - Aug 24, 2011
- 500,000 bees stolen from Fraser Valley - Jul 31, 2012
- Man kills puppy with hammer - May 04, 2012
- Dougherty County Man Curtis Davis Killed By Africanized "Killer Bees", Authorities Confirm - Oct 25, 2010
- Beckham's kids love tipsy mom - Apr 14, 2012
- Doctors save dog Daisy's life after she swallows a 2-inch needle - May 22, 2012
- Killer Honeybees Sting A Man To Death In Dougherty County - Oct 25, 2010
- Bees hospitalise over 70 monks in Thailand - Jun 25, 2012
- Tibor Szabo wins the 'Clovermead Bees & Honey Bee Beard Competition' - Aug 17, 2010
- Some honey bees tend to take risks - Mar 11, 2012
- Alameda County Fair Attacked By Yellow Bees - Jul 04, 2010
- Truck crash lets loose 17 million bees on highway in Minnesota - May 25, 2010
- Marie-Therese Connolly wins MacArthur Genius Grant - Sep 21, 2011
- Common pesticide behind beehive collapse - Apr 09, 2012
- Dog Tore Off Girl's Lip After it Heard Barking on her NintendoDS - Sep 29, 2010
Tags: andover hampshire, bees stings, blankets, daily mail, distressed animal, german shepherd, hive, hives, living room, london, neighbourhood, phone call, plasma transfusion, puppy, sara, stockbroker, swarm of bees, swarms, vet, veterinary staff