Swami Agnivesh’s assailant shot at by MaoistsApril 28th, 2011 - 11:37 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, April 28 (IANS) Three Maoists Thursday shot at and seriously injured a Salwa Judum militia leader, who was also accused of leading an assault on social activist Swami Agnivesh during his visit last month, in Chhattisgarh’s violence-hit Bastar region Thursday, police said.
“Three armed Maoists clad in school uniform opened fire in a full public view in Konta block at Vijay Kumar,” Additional Director General of Police Giridhari Nayak told IANS.
The attack site is located in Dantewada district, about 500 km south of Raipur.
Nayak added that Vijay, a teacher by profession, was hit by at least two bullets at close range and was rushed to a hospital at Bhadrachalam in Andhra Pradesh, barely 40 km from the attack site. Vijay was reported to be critical when the last report came in around 10 p.m. Thursday.
Top official sources said that Maoists were desperately looking to kill Vijay after he was named in a police report for leading a group that assaulted Swami Agnivesh when he was on way to Tarmetla where policemen were accused by poor villagers of burning down their nearly 300 huts besides raping and torturing a few women in a rampage that went on for several days.
The protesters whom Agnivesh termed a bunch of Salwa Judum cadres and policemen, manhandled Agnivesh, removed his turban and threw eggs at him and forced him to return back without making on the spot visit to Tarmetla and two other nearby hamlets.
- Agnivesh attacked by protesters, two officials transferred - Mar 27, 2011
- Salwa Judum has gone out of control: Agnivesh - Mar 27, 2011
- Dantewada area not fully in our control: Raman Singh (Interview) - Mar 31, 2011
- Chhattisgarh lawmakers arrested on way to Dantewada village - Mar 30, 2011
- NHRC notice to Chhattisgarh over attack on Swami Agnivesh - Mar 30, 2011
- Chhattisgarh house paralysed over Dantewada rampage, minister blames Maoists - Mar 29, 2011
- Help for police rampage victims in Chhattisgarh - Mar 25, 2011
- Two Chhattisgarh cops killed in Maoist ambush (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Panchayat secretary killed in Maoist firing - Aug 30, 2012
- Maoist supply chain busted in Chhattisgarh; 3 held - Jun 14, 2012
- Maoists kill civil militia leader - Mar 19, 2012
- No starvation death confirmed in Dantewada: Official - Apr 07, 2011
- Dantewada still burns, year after India's worst Maoist strike - Apr 05, 2011
- Maoists kill Salwa Judum cadre in Chhattisgarh - Sep 06, 2010
- Panel to probe alleged excesses in Chhattisgarh village - Mar 24, 2011
Tags: assailant, bhadrachalam, cadres, close range, director general, hamlets, huts, maoists, militia leader, nayak, police report, policemen, poor villagers, rampage, salwa judum, school uniform, swami, turban, two bullets, vijay kumar