Suzuki India targets 10 percent share in 150cc segmentFebruary 17th, 2009 - 7:32 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai Feb 17 (IANS) Japanese two-wheeler manufacturer Suzuki’s Indian subsidiary hopes to capture a 10 percent market share in the growing 150cc motorbike segment with its new model GS150R, said a company official.
Launching the model here Tuesday, Anand Singh Thakur, Suzuki Motorcycle India senior sales manager told reporters: “The 150cc bike category logs around 45,000 unit sales per month. Within that the premium segment is the evolving category, in which our new model is slotted.”
With an on-road price of around Rs.67,000 the new model will be pitted against India Yamaha’s FZ16 and R15, Bajaj Auto’s Pulsar, Hero Honda’s Hunk and TVS Motor’s Apache models.
“Our bike has features of premium 150cc bikes at a price that is slightly higher than the mass market bikes of the segment,” Thakur said.
He said the ratio of company’s sales between scooter (Access 125cc) and motorbikes might change to 60:40 a year down the line, from the current 70:30.
Suzuki has one scooter and three motorbike models in its product portfolio.
Last year, the company sold 110,000 units, while the target for the current year is 175,000 units - scooter and motorbikes put together.
“As our scooter has a waiting period, we plan to double the scooter production capacity to 16,000 units per month.”
The company will also increase its overall capacity to 250,000 units by this year-end and 400,000 units over the next three years.
- Yamaha looks to double India bike sales - May 28, 2011
- Yamaha to set up Rs.1,500 crore plant in Tamil Nadu - May 14, 2012
- India Yamaha targets 10 percent market share in 2010 - Apr 30, 2010
- India Yamaha Motor reports 14 percent sales growth in March - Mar 31, 2012
- Suzuki unveils new bike, scooter - Jan 05, 2012
- India Yamaha Motor logs sales growth in July - Aug 01, 2011
- Yamaha India's May sales zoom 59 percent - Jun 01, 2011
- Suzuki looking at India as a two-wheeler export hub - May 15, 2012
- Bajaj Auto launches sports bike KTM Duke 200 - Jan 24, 2012
- Hero MotoCorp in technology alliance with Italian firm - Sep 13, 2012
- Auto makers continue to log growth (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- Strike, interest rates dampen automobile sales - Nov 01, 2011
- India Yamaha Motor to expand capacity in 2012 - Dec 31, 2011
- HMSI launches its second 110 cc bike for mass market - May 15, 2012
- Honda to launch entry-level bike - Sep 07, 2011