Suzlon to up its stake in German wind power firmDecember 16th, 2008 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 16 (IANS) Suzlon Energy, the world’s fifth leading and India’s largest wind turbine manufacturer, Tuesday announced that it will invest about 270 million euros (about $369 million or Rs.17.56 billion) to hike its stake in German wind power company REpower Systems AG.Suzlon will pick up a 22.4 percent stake that Martifer Group of Portugal holds in REpower, which will up its holding in the German firm to about 91 percent.
As per the new terms, Suzlon will pay Martifer in three tranches with the first instalment of euro 65 million ($89 million or Rs.4.23 billion) being paid this month.
The next instalment, of euro 30 million ($41 million or Rs.1.95 billion), will be made in April 2009 and the final one of euro 175 million ($239 million or Rs.11.38 billion)the following month.
Suzlon’s acquisition of Repower Systems is aimed at tapping the European and North American wind energy markets. Said a Suzlon spokesperson: “REpower complements us in both extending our geographical presence and widening our product portfolio. Suzlon is strong in the South European market with medium capacity onshore wind power plants, and REpower has strong offshore capabilities in Northern Europe.”
While Suzlon’s largest on-shore wind turbine is of 2.1 MW capacity, REpower’s wind turbines are in the range 2.2 MW to 5 MW.
“REpower will also benefit from the deal as it can capitalise on Suzlon’s integrated supply chain and manufacture or source wind turbines faster and at cheaper rates,” the spokesperson added.
Suzlon’s script was trading up by 7.17 percent following the announcement.
- Suzlon raises stake in REpower to 73.7 percent - Dec 30, 2008
- Suzlon's German unit wins 295 MW offshore contract - Nov 26, 2010
- REpower to supply turbines to Sweden's Klagerup Kraft - Sep 15, 2010
- Suzlon's arm bags orders worth $387 mn in two months - Apr 23, 2012
- Suzlon Group to sell China subsidiary for $60 mn - Jun 23, 2012
- Suzlon Energy subsidiary bags 74.8 megawatt order in Germany - Sep 29, 2010
- Suzlon raises stake in Germany's REpower - Jun 06, 2009
- Suzlon Energy to increase stake in German firm - Sep 01, 2008
- Suzlon crosses 15 gigawatt of wind power installations worldwide - Dec 16, 2010
- Suzlon Energy bags 50.4 megawatt order - Apr 20, 2011
- Suzlon Energy posts quarterly net loss of Rs.19.4 crore - Oct 24, 2011
- Suzlon Energy completes sale of stake in Hansen - Oct 13, 2011
- Suzlon crosses 5,000 MW of wind power installations in India - Sep 24, 2010
- Suzlon bags contract for 30 mw wind turbine in Rajasthan - Sep 03, 2010
- Suzlon Energy bags Rs.1,149 crore wind power order - Sep 21, 2010