Suu Kyi to visit BritainApril 18th, 2012 - 10:33 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 18 (IANS) Myanmar’s pro-democracy campaigner Aung San Suu Kyi is to make a symbolic visit to Britain after accepting an invitation from British Prime Minister David Cameron.
She will also travel to Norway when she leaves Myanmar for the first time in two decades in June, The Independent reported Wednesday.
The trip is evidence of Suu Kyi’s growing confidence in the reforming credentials of Myanmerese President Thein Sein. Previously she had refused to go abroad for fear that she would not be allowed back into the country.
However, Downing Street said it had not received any confirmation of Suu Kyi’s plans to visit.
Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy (NLD) had won 43 of 45 seats in the April 2 parliamentary by-elections.
Cameron on April 13 met Suu Kyi during the first visit by a Western leader since Myanmar’s military junta gave way to a new civilian government in March last year, as part of a wider democratic reform process that also saw the Nobel laureate freed from her years of detention.
- Suu Kyi told PM about `difficulties' - May 30, 2012
- Cameron to meet Suu Kyi in Myanmar - Apr 10, 2012
- For first time, Myanmar state media reports Suu Kyi's US trip - Sep 21, 2012
- Cameron on first visit to Myanmar - Apr 13, 2012
- Manmohan meets Suu Kyi, hails India ties (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Suu Kyi to visit Britain, address parliament - May 21, 2012
- Suu Kyi released -- finally (Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Myanmar votes to elect Suu Kyi (Lead) - Apr 01, 2012
- EU praises Myanmar over political reforms - Mar 29, 2012
- US Congress wants to keep Myanmar import ban - Aug 03, 2012
- Myanmar president meets leaders of 14 political parties - Aug 04, 2012
- Ban arrives in Myanmar - Apr 29, 2012
- India congratulates Suu Kyi on poll win - Apr 03, 2012
- Suu Kyi to help Myanmarese migrants in Thailand - May 30, 2012
- Canadian foreign minister visits Myanmar - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,