Suspended BJP MP on protest fast against Himachal’s Lokayukta actApril 5th, 2012 - 4:30 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, April 5 (IANS) A suspended parliamentarian of Himachal Pradesh’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) was on a day-long fast Thursday in the shadow of the statue of Mahatma Gandhi here to protest against the ‘draconian’ provisions of the state’s proposed Lokayukta Act.
Rajan Sushant, Lok Sabha MP from Kangra, told IANS that the proposed legislation was aimed at creating “fear psychosis in the minds of the complainants as it’s prescribing a punishment of one year if the complaint is found to be frivolous”.
“It’s very weak and ineffective as most of the powers (to act against corruption) have been kept by the government with itself,” he said, adding “it aims to provide illegitimate protection to corrupt people rather than to punish them”.
The MP, who is on a day-long fast demanding an effective Lokayukta system by giving more powers to the ombudsman, also questioned the “inability” of the state BJP to follow its own governments in Karnataka and Uttarakhand.
“If Karnataka and Uttarakhand can give more teeth to Lokayukta, why not this state,” he said.
“This means the state BJP disowns its own party models in Uttarakhand and Karnataka,” he said.
Pointing to loopholes in Himachal’s Lokayukta bill that was listed for discussion Friday, the last day of the budget, Sushant said most of the powers - to give prosecution sanction - still remain with the government.
- MP protests Himachal's Lokayukta act (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Himachal introduces bill to strengthen Lokayukta (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- BJP, Team Anna cross swords on Himachal Lokayukta bill - Apr 02, 2012
- No need to follow Uttarakhand on Lokayukta: Dhumal - Apr 03, 2012
- BJP suspends Himachal MP - Mar 11, 2012
- Himachal BJP to take call on errant MP within week - Feb 29, 2012
- We will give Lokayukta more powers in Himachal: Chief Minister (Interview) - Dec 30, 2011
- Himachal introduces bill to strengthen Lokayukta - Apr 04, 2012
- Himachal BJP removes MP from state executive - May 24, 2011
- Himachal BJP to act against errant MP within week - Aug 03, 2011
- Himachal BJP seeks explanation from outspoken legislator - Jun 14, 2012
- Himachal Lokayukta will be strengthened, says new chief - Feb 03, 2012
- Himachal BJP MP alleges threat to life (Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
- BJP has no right to lecture on corruption: Congress - Jul 22, 2011
- Himachal BJP MP fears threat to life - Jul 10, 2011
Tags: bjp, corruption, draconian provisions, himachal pradesh, kangra, karnataka, Lok Sabha, lokayukta, loopholes, mahatma gandhi, mp, ombudsman, parliamentarian, prosecution, psychosis, rajan, sanction, shimla, sushant lok, uttarakhand