Suspected thief lynched in West Bengal townAugust 10th, 2008 - 12:54 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 10 (IANS) A man suspected to be a thief was lynched in West Bengal’s Midnapore town, police said Sunday. No arrests have been made as yet. “A middle-aged unidentified man was beaten to death by people in Sukantapalli area Saturday night. They suspected him to be a thief, but we don’t have any proof. We have not arrested anyone till now,” District Superintendent of Police R.K. Singh told reporters.
Officials at Kotwali police station, under which Sukantapalli falls, said there was a rumour at around 9 p.m. that a thief had entered the house of Karuna Das in the locality. But when the people gathered near the house, they could not find anyone.
They then caught hold of a man sitting nearby and starting beating him without asking him any questions.
“The public beating continued for over two hours. Police was informed much later. Before officials could reach the spot and rescue the man, he had died,” an official said.
- Suspected thief lynched in Bihar - Jul 10, 2011
- Suspected thief lynched in Bihar - Mar 07, 2011
- Man lynched for killing wives - Nov 07, 2011
- 'Thief' lynched in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 01, 2009
- No arrest so far in teen burning case; mother 'inconsolable' - May 17, 2012
- Man dies in police custody, protestors allege torture - Sep 16, 2011
- Two lynched in Bihar over theft, molestation charges - Jul 14, 2009
- Two kidnappers lynched in Mexico - Feb 12, 2012
- Woman killed over a goat in Bengal - Jun 07, 2012
- Man beaten to death in Bihar for eloping - Sep 12, 2012
- Two 'rapists' lynched in West Bengal - Feb 26, 2012
- Another suspected thief lynched in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 07, 2009
- Thief lynched in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 21, 2010
- CPI-M leader killed in Bengal clash - May 14, 2011
- Journalist, pregnant wife attacked - Jul 07, 2012