Suspected thief lynched in BiharMarch 7th, 2011 - 4:17 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, March 7 (IANS) A mob in a Bihar village lynched an unidentified man who was suspected to be a thief, police said Monday.
The man in his late 20s was beaten to death in Pakadiya village in Sitamarhi district late Sunday night.
Angry villagers caught him when he was trying to flee allegedly after stealing some valuables from a house in the village.
Police said he was thrashed and his head was crushed with bricks and bamboo sticks.
The unidentified body has been sent for autopsy. Police have lodged a case of murder against unidentified villagers.
The incident came as an embarrassment for Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who claims to have brought “sushasan” or good governance to Bihar. In the last two months, nearly a dozen cases of lynching have been reported across the state.
“Mob justice” is common in the state’s rural areas and small urban pockets. Last year, over four dozen lynching incidents were reported and still more are expected to have gone unreported.
The worst case was reported in 2007 when 10 men from the underprivileged Kueri community were beaten to death in Vaishali district as they were suspected to be thieves. Later, a high-level probe found that the men were innocent.
- Suspected thief lynched in Bihar - Jul 10, 2011
- Two suspected criminals lynched in Bihar - Apr 27, 2011
- Five suspected thieves lynched in Bihar - Jun 08, 2010
- Two lynched in Bihar over theft, molestation charges - Jul 14, 2009
- Suspected thief lynched in Bihar - Mar 13, 2008
- Three people lynched in Bihar - Jan 02, 2009
- Mob rule: two men beaten to death in Bihar (Lead) - May 23, 2009
- Two suspected thieves lynched in Bihar - Aug 05, 2008
- Three suspected thieves lynched in Bihar - Feb 17, 2008
- Mentally challenged woman lynched in Bihar - Aug 04, 2010
- Four suspected robbers lynched in Bihar - Mar 04, 2009
- Four nomads lynched in Bihar - Aug 07, 2009
- 71 nabbed for lynching 10 men - Aug 04, 2011
- Man beaten to death in Bihar for eloping - Sep 12, 2012
- Three robbery suspects lynched in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 01, 2011
Tags: angry villagers, autopsy, bamboo sticks, bricks, chief minister, embarrassment, good governance, last two months, level probe, mob justice, nitish kumar, patna, pockets, rural areas, suspected thief, thieves, unidentified body, unidentified man, valuables, worst case