Suspected terrorist Shaikh sent to police custodyMarch 3rd, 2009 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 3 (IANS) Salman Kadar Shaikh, an alleged member of the Indian Mujahideen and accused of sending terror email to the media before serial blasts in the country last year, was Tuesday sent to 10-day police custody by a court here.
Shaikh alias Mobin, 24, was brought to Delhi from Maharashta and produced before Additional Chief Metropolitan magistrate Kaveri Baweja, who ordered him in police custody till March 12.
Threatening e-mail were sent to media organisations prior to the July 26 Ahmedabad and the Sep 13 Delhi serial blasts from unsecured wireless internet connections in Navi Mumbai and Mumbai respectively.
Another email was sent from a wireless internet connection at a college in central Mumbai.
Mobin, who worked as a senior technical adviser in an IT firm, is one of the Indian Mujahideen’s media cell and was arrested along with Mohammed Mansoor Asghar Peerbhoy and Asif Bashruddin Sheikh.
Peerbhoy is already in the custody of Delhi Police.
The police suspect the trio was working directly under senior Indian Mujahideen operative Riyaz Bhatkal alias Roshan Khan. The email were suspected to have been prepared a week before they were sent.
Meanwhile, another court also extended the judicial custody of five suspected members of Indian Mujahideen - Mohd Saif, Mohd Shakeel, Zia-ur-Rehman, Saquib Nissar and Mohd Shakeel - by 14 days.
Metropolitan Magistrate Ashish Aggarwal remanded the accused, who allegedly carried out Sep 13 serial blasts here, to judicial custody till March 17.
Delhi Police has filed the chargesheets in all five cases registered in connection with the serial blasts which claimed 26 lives and left hundreds injured.
The accused have been booked under various provisions of the Indian Penal Code including those related to murder, attempt to murder and waging war against the country. The police also invoked provisions of the Explosive Substances Act and the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
- Court extends custody of Indian Mujahideen members - Mar 12, 2009
- Court allows Indian Mujahideen suspects to be taken to Maharashtra - Mar 17, 2009
- Trial in Delhi serial blasts case to begin soon - Nov 26, 2009
- Delhi serial bombings: Eighth charge sheet filed - Sep 09, 2009
- 2008 Delhi serial blast: 11 accused fail to appear in court (Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
- Delhi blast: NIA wants to quiz terror suspects - May 08, 2012
- 2008 Delhi serial blasts: Court to frame charges Feb 21 (Second lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Delhi Police get custody of two terror suspects - Jul 09, 2012
- Mumbai police want to confront Hamza with Kasab (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Delhi Police files charge sheet against 11 IM suspects - May 23, 2012
- Centre, states' views sought on special terrorism courts - Feb 22, 2010
- Suspected IM operative Peerbhoy sent to police custody - Feb 28, 2009
- Supplementary charges filed against 4 Delhi terror suspects - Apr 15, 2009
- Delhi serial blasts accused sent to police custody - Mar 23, 2010
- Indian Mujahideen member arrested from Bihar (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012