Suspected ISI agent sent to 14-day judicial custodyJanuary 11th, 2009 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 11 (IANS) A court in Uttar Pradesh Sunday sent Ameer Ahmad, a suspected agent of Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), to 14-day judicial custody, the police said.Ahmad was presented to a chief judicial magistrate’s (CJM) court in Meerut, some 400 km from Lucknow, the police added.
Ahmad was arrested Saturday from the Sadar locality in Meerut with documents related to the Indian Army.
“Maps of army units in Meerut, Dehradun and Roorkee were recovered from Ahmad alias Bhoora, who hails from Saharanpur district,” Raghuveer Lal, Meerut district police chief, told IANS.
Lal said the police had learnt that Ahmad underwent an 18-day training course conducted by the ISI in Karachi.
According to the police, Ahmad may also be linked to the 26/11 Mumbai terror strikes.
The police said that Ahmad was arrested Saturday by the Special Task Force (STF) which, however, said the arrest took place Friday from Sadar locality in Meerut.
STF Senior Superintendent of Police Amitabh Yash reporters here Saturday: “We have learnt that Ahmad went to Pakistan five times where he was approached by ISI officials to work as a spy in India.”
According to the police, Ahmad was in touch with ISI officials in Karachi and Lahore.
“Ahmad frequently called ISI officials Tohaib and Aslam Asif in Karachi,” Lal said.
“Ahmad told his interrogators that he used to pass on information related to the movement of army units to the ISI,” Lal added.
- Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Jan 10, 2009
- Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 10, 2009
- Two arrested with Rs.11 lakh in fake notes - May 15, 2010
- Seven held for kidnapping boy in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 12, 2011
- Two arrested with cartridges in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 01, 2011
- Cops probe calls from Iran to plant bombs in Meerut - Jul 18, 2011
- Nepali national held for ISI links - Jun 05, 2011
- Terrorist wanted in Delhi blasts arrested in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 01, 2010
- Assam, Tripura police to jointly probe ISI activities - Aug 31, 2010
- Curfew relaxed in violence-hit Ghaziabad area - Sep 17, 2012
- Gangster arrested in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 10, 2012
- Two poachers held with leopard skins in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 06, 2010
- Policeman, home guard fired upon, weapons looted - Oct 15, 2011
- Three arrested with antlers in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 02, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh restricts gatherings in areas close to Delhi - Jun 07, 2011