Suspect in murder of Mexican ex-general arrestedMarch 3rd, 2012 - 11:58 am ICT by IANS
Madrid, March 3 (IANS/EFE) Spanish police have arrested a Mexican woman accused in her country of commissioning the May 2011 murder of a top retired military officer.
The woman, identified only by the initials L.S., was living in Madrid with her family for several months, Spanish authorities said.
Maj. Gen. Jorge Juarez Loera, who had been part of the Mexican armed forces’ operations against organized crime, was killed May 21, 2011, less than three weeks after he retired as the nation’s No. 3 military officer.
Three gunmen intercepted the retired general on a road in the Mexico City suburb of Naucalpan, engineered a traffic accident to force him out of his vehicle and then shot him at point-blank range.
Mexican police apprehended two of the gunmen in June 2011 and subsequent investigations led to a man who had been paid 150,000 pesos ($11,500) - allegedly by L.S. - to arrange the assassination of Juarez Loera.
Authorities in Mexico suspected that L.S. had fled to Spain and they enlisted their Spanish counterparts in the search, which ended with the arrest of the fugitive outside her Madrid residence.
- Mexican women's rights activist shot at - Dec 04, 2011
- 10 die in attack on Mexican bar - Aug 15, 2012
- Mexican city's lone police officer kidnapped - Dec 28, 2010
- Gunmen attack funeral procession in Mexican city - Feb 17, 2011
- 10 killed in bar shooting in Mexico - Apr 02, 2011
- Woman police chief flees Mexico after death threats - Mar 06, 2011
- Debt-laden Mexican state keeps financial records secret - Dec 01, 2011
- Mexican woman killed while seeking justice for slain daughter - Dec 18, 2010
- Spend more on fighting deforestation: Greenpeace tells Mexico - Oct 20, 2011
- Mexico arrests drug trafficker wanted for 1,500 murders - Aug 01, 2011
- Footballer-turned-gangster arrested in Mexico - Jan 09, 2012
- 4 killed during football game in Mexican city - Dec 23, 2010
- Woman police chief slain in Mexico - Nov 30, 2010
- Mexican duo rolls out new album - Feb 23, 2012
- Mexican congressional hopeful bares some skin in posters - May 08, 2012
Tags: city suburb, counterparts, efe, forces operations, fugitive, gunmen, initials, juarez, loera, madrid residence, mexican police, mexican woman, mexico city, military officer, organized crime, retired general, spanish authorities, spanish police, subsequent investigations, traffic accident