Sushil Kumar’s Olympic saga (Factfile)August 12th, 2012 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 12 (IANS) India’s Sushil Kumar has steadily worked his way to the Olympic silver medal. His success graph in the last three years, after he won the bronze at the Beijing Games, shows how assiduously he has pieced it all to the London climax.
Sushil prepared for this day quite meticulously with systematic planning and training.
After Beijing, he was back on the podium taking the gold first in Commonwealth Championships in Jalandhar in 2009 and a year later at the New Delhi Commonwealth Games.
In between, he won the Asian Championship in New Delhi in May and the world championship in September.
Though he pulled out of the Guangzhou Asian Games with an injury a month after the Commonwealth Games, he was back in action soon preparing for the London Olympics.
He sweated it out at the wrestling camp in Sonepat and trained at Colorado Springs in the US and finally at Belarus before going to London.
Sushil Kumar, born May 26, 1983 (age 29), Baprola, Najafgarh, Delhi.
Event: 66-kg freestyle wrestling.
First successes: Gold medal at the 1998 World Cadet Games in Moscow; Gold at the 2000 Asian Junior Wrestling Championship.
International Medal record:
Bronze 2008 Beijing 66kg
Silver 2012 London 66kg
Gold 2010 Moscow 66kg
Gold 2010 Delhi 66kg
Gold 2010 New Delhi 66kg
Silver 2007 Kyrgyzstan 66kg
Bronze 2003 New Delhi 60kg
Bronze 2008 Jeju Island 66kg
Gold 2003 London 60kg
Gold 2005 Cape Town 66kg
Gold 2007 London 66kg
Gold 2009 Jalandhar 66kg
Arjuna Award (2005)
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna (2009)
- Stardom in Beijing, immortalized in London (Profile) (Lead, correcting dateline) - Aug 12, 2012
- Stardom in Beijing, immortalized in London (Profile) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Yogeshwar Dutt's factfile - Aug 12, 2012
- For me this Commonwealth Games special, says Sushil - Oct 03, 2010
- For Yogeshwar, London was 'now or never' - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- India hails Olympic silver medallist Sushil Kumar - Aug 12, 2012
- Indian wrestlers put behind doping scandal, aim for rich haul - Sep 20, 2010
- Carnival at Baprola village as Sushil scripts history - Aug 12, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Gill congratulates world champion Sushil Kumar - Sep 13, 2010
- Sushil Kumar wins Gold medal at World Wrestling Championship in Moscow - Sep 13, 2010
- Would have loved to hear national anthem: Sushil - Aug 12, 2012
- Indian wrestling has a bright future: Sports minister - Aug 12, 2012
- Sushil Kumar's gold brings cheer to tainted Indian wrestling - Sep 13, 2010
Tags: arjuna, asian championship, asian championships, asian games, commonwealth games gold, factfile, going to london, gold medal, jalandhar, jeju island, khel ratna, london olympics, moscow gold, olympic games, olympic silver medal, rajiv gandhi, sonepat, sushil kumar, world championships, wrestling camp