Surveillance on suspected pirate-manned dhowsOctober 1st, 2011 - 4:18 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Oct 1 (IANS) The Indian Navy is maintaining aerial surveillance on three dhows and an unconfirmed number of skiffs suspected to be manned by sea pirates 600 and 700 nautical miles off the Goa coast, respectively, an officer here said Saturday.
The suspected pirate vessels were under surveillance since Friday and the Indian Navy had dispatched a fleet of armed marine vessels to raid the vessels and verify the antecedents of those on board, flag officer commanding Goa area (FOCGA) rear admiral Sudhir Pillai told reporters here.
“It is an ongoing operation. We have these vessels under observation for 24 hours now. We have sent our boats on a surface operation to board the vessel and check their documentation,” Pillai said.
The operation was launched after the Indian Navy was informed about the presence of unidentified crafts by a marine shipping vessel passing through the area Friday.
“We have diverted all marine traffic away from the area. Piracy subsides during the monsoons. But as the monsoons subside movements of pirates begin,” the officer said, adding that an IL-38, a maritime surveillance aircraft, was being used to constantly monitor the movements of the vessels.
“The boats are in a suspicious area deep in the sea. That is why we are on alert,” he added.
- Indian Navy beefing up sea lifting operations - Oct 01, 2011
- Navy thwarts pirate attack on two cargo ships - Sep 26, 2011
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- Indian Navy looking for latest choppers - Oct 01, 2011
- Pirate ship sunk by navy, Coast Guard in Arabian Sea (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Indian Navy foils another piracy attempt - Nov 11, 2011
- Somali pirates attack and board UK-flagged ship in failed hijack attempt - Jan 04, 2011
- Indian Navy foils piracy attempt - Sep 16, 2010
- US forces rescue six more Iranian sailors - Jan 11, 2012
- Two Coast Guard stations established in Arabian Sea to safeguard India's interest - Dec 24, 2010
- Indian marine commandos chase pirate ship away from Arabian Sea - Nov 30, 2010
- Frenchwoman being held by Somali pirates rescued - Sep 12, 2011
- India, Mauritius to join hands to combat piracy: Patil - Apr 25, 2011
- Indian Navy foils pirate attack on Chinese vessel - May 06, 2011
- Foreign ships plying close to Indian coast warned - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: aerial surveillance, antecedents, flag officer, goa coast, indian navy, marine shipping, marine traffic, marine vessels, maritime surveillance, monsoons, nautical miles, ongoing operation, panaji, piracy, pirate vessels, rear admiral, sea pirates, skiffs, surveillance aircraft, suspicious area