Surjeet freed, to come home via Wagah (Lead, Changing dateline)June 28th, 2012 - 11:16 am ICT by IANS
Attari (Punjab), June 28 (IANS) Indian prisoner Surjeet Singh was released from Lahore’s Kot Lakhpat jail after over three decades in captivity Thursday and reached the Wagah border on the Pakistan side on his way back home, officials said.
Surjeet would walk into India after Pakistan authorities completed all formalities, Border Security Force (BSF) officials here told IANS.
“This can take up to two-three hours,” one BSF official said.
He was brought to Wagah, which falls in Pakistan, in a police prison van.
His family, including son Kulwinder Singh, were waiting on the Attari side of the joint border checkpost.
“We are very happy that he is being finally released. We will have big celebrations,” Kulwinder Singh, who arrived here early Thursday morning with family members, relatives and villagers, said.
Attari, 30 km from Amritsar city, is the border checkpost on the Indian side.
The Pakistan authorities are also likely to allow 311 Indian fishermen to walk back to India after their release from Karachi prison Wednesday. Most of the fishermen are from Gujarat.
They were in Pakistani custody for periods ranging from a few months to three years after they were accused of violating Pakistan’s territorial water off the coast of Gujarat.
Surjeet, 69, spent over 30 years in Pakistani jail after being arrested on charges of spying. He completed his life term in 2005.
His family in Phidde in Ferozepur district are eagerly waiting for his return.
“We are all very eager to receive him. We will make him very comfortable here,” Surjeet’s daughter-in-law said.
- Surjeet is home, after 30 years in Pakistan prison (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Surjeet home after 30 years, says he was a spy (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2012
- The wait ends: Surjeet Singh's family rejoices - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet given rousing welcome in Punjab's Phidde village - Jun 29, 2012
- Surjeet met by children, to meet wife later - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet appeals for release of prisoners on both sides - Jun 28, 2012
- Surjeet Singh walks back to India after 30 years - Jun 28, 2012
- For Surjeet Singh, life unfolds a guessing game - Jul 01, 2012
- Surjeet freed but reaches Wagah in handcuffs (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 28, 2012
- Surjeet Singh gets Rs.5 lakh from Punjab government - Jul 19, 2012
- India frees 14 Pakistani prisoners (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Pakistan frees 311 Indian prisoners - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet Singh confesses being a spy - Jun 28, 2012
- Conditions favourable in Pakistan for Sarabjit's release: Sister - Jul 05, 2011
Tags: attari, authorities, border security force, bsf official, captivity, celebrations, family members, formalities, gujarat, indian fishermen, lahore, pakistan side, pakistani custody, periods, prison van, relatives, territorial water, three decades, thursday morning, wagah border