Suresh, Sanjeev Nanda judicial custody extended by 14 daysApril 25th, 2008 - 9:54 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 25 (IANS) A Delhi court Friday extended till May 9 the judicial custody of arms dealer Suresh Nanda, his son Sanjeev and two others, arrested for allegedly trying to bribe an income tax official to manipulate Nanda’s tax records. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI)’s Special Court Judge I.K. Kochhar sent the father-son duo, deputy director of income tax Ashutosh Verma, and Nanda’s chartered accountant Bipin Shah to judicial custody for another 14 days.
Earlier, Delhi High Court April 5 had rejected their bail plea on the ground that they could hamper the on-going probe in the case.
The CBI had arrested all four from J.W. Marriott hotel in Mumbai March 8 where they had allegedly assembled for negotiations on the bribe amount to be given to Verma.
Following their arrests, the CBI conducted searches and recovered Rs.5.5 million from the residence of Verma, an Indian Revenue Service officer. The agency claimed that the Nandas had given the money to Verma as a bribe in lieu of manipulating their income tax records.
The CBI has said that it had recorded 95 telephonic calls among the accused in this matter.
Suresh Nanda has also been accused of receiving Rs.4 million ($99,943.82) in kickbacks after a deal to purchase Israeli Barak missiles that was signed during the previous Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government.
The $100 million (Rs.3.9 billion) deal had come under the scanner after it was alleged that the then Defence Minister George Fernandes had overruled, at the behest of Suresh Nanda, the opinion of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) that it could develop a system similar to the Barak.
Sanjeev is also accused of mowing down six people in 1999 while driving his BMW in an inebriated state.
- Court allows arms dealer Nanda to go abroad - Sep 21, 2011
- Abhishek Verma, wife seek bail - Aug 07, 2012
- Granted bail, Anca will still stay in jail - Aug 29, 2012
- CBI to file chargesheet against Abhishek Verma, wife Aug 7 - Aug 01, 2012
- Abhishek Verma calls fresh case politically motivated - Aug 09, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife granted bail, arrested afresh - Aug 08, 2012
- Court grants bail to arms dealer Suresh Nanda, son - Apr 29, 2008
- Abhishek Verma, wife in seven days CBI custody - Jun 09, 2012
- Arms dealer Suresh Nanda can apply for passport release - Mar 05, 2010
- Abhishek Verma, wife sent to jail till July 4 (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Suresh Nanda seeks release of his passport - Aug 03, 2009
- Mining baron Reddy's kin arrested in cash-for-bail case - Jul 22, 2012
- Verma, wife move release application in money laundering case - Sep 11, 2012
- Kalmadi wants medical reports under wraps - Aug 05, 2011
- CWG scam: Court grants bail to firm's official (Second lead) - Mar 15, 2011