Suresh Nanda, son arrested over Barak missile dealMarch 9th, 2008 - 12:02 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 9 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has arrested arms dealer Suresh Nanda and his son Sanjeev for allegedly receiving kickbacks in the purchase of Barak missiles from Israel in 2000, CBI sources said Sunday. Suresh Nanda, son of former Indian Navy chief Admiral S.M. Nanda, and his son were arrested late Saturday from their house in the capital. The CBI has also raided Suresh Nanda’s residence in Mumbai. Their chartered accounted has also been held.
The Ministry of External Affairs had earlier suspended Suresh Nanda’s passport on the CBI’s request.
The CBI has accused Suresh Nanda of receiving Rs.4 million ($99,943.82) in kickbacks after a deal to purchase Israeli Barak missiles was signed during the previous Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) regime.
The $100 million (Rs.3.9 billion) deal had come under the scanner after it was alleged that then defence minister George Fernandes had overruled, at the behest of Suresh Nanda, the opinion of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) that it could develop a system similar to the Barak.
- Court allows arms dealer Nanda to go abroad - Sep 21, 2011
- Arms dealer Suresh Nanda can apply for passport release - Mar 05, 2010
- Suresh Nanda seeks release of his passport - Aug 03, 2009
- Suresh, Sanjeev Nanda judicial custody extended by 14 days - Apr 25, 2008
- Suresh Nanda, son arrested over Barak missile deal - Mar 09, 2008
- CBI nabs arms dealer Suresh Nanda, his son - Mar 09, 2008
- Suresh Nanda's passport suspended by four weeks - Mar 03, 2008
- Arms dealer Suresh Nanda, son brought to Delhi - Mar 10, 2008
- CBI to probe Nanda's British citizenship - Mar 03, 2008
- 'Corruption smear impacting on Barak missile purchases' - Mar 10, 2008
- Court grants bail to arms dealer Suresh Nanda, son - Apr 29, 2008
- CBI quizzes Fernandes in Barak missile deal - May 20, 2008
- CBI arrests Nandas over Barak missiles kickbacks - Mar 09, 2008
- Delhi High Court issues notice to CBI on arms dealer Nanda's bail plea - Apr 10, 2008
- CBI begins interrogation of arms dealers Nandas in Delhi - Mar 10, 2008